seven

I don't think I've ever woken up so happily before. In fact, waking up rarely ever occurred. But when you feel curls against you cheeks, soft lips caressing your face with gentle kisses, life feels the best. For me, I never experienced this before and I don't think I'd ever want anything else.

"Harry, wake up," Marie whispers, her fingers brushing my forehead lightly. Her fingers softly run along my face and she rolls onto my body, my hands still by my head. Her fingers lace through them and she kisses my forehead.

"Eres muy guapo en la mañana," she whispers and I smile.

"What does that mean?" I mumble, my voice still needing to adjust.

"You are very handsome in the morning," she says, kissing my cheek. Opening up my eyes, her smile is bright and I adore this side of her. Her eyelashes flutter against her cheeks as I pull her down, kissing her. Her hand moves out of mine and she brings her fingers to my hair, lightly brushing them through my hair.

"How did you sleep?" I ask, her eyes looking into mine.

"Wonderfully. And you?" she asks, my lips curving.

"First time I've slept in a while." I tell her, her fingers touching my cheek.

"What do you mean?" she asks, my lips sighing.

"It's a long story," I whisper, her head nodding.

"I'll tell you over breakfast. I'm taking you to the café," I smile, her lips curving. She rolls off me and we part, showering in separate rooms. After dressing myself, I find the beautiful girl in the kitchen with my mum.

"I'm taking her to the café," I tell mum, her lips curved.

"It's delicious. You'll love it," she tells Marie, Marie grinning. After our coats are placed on our bodies, Marie and I get into my old car. Driving to the café is a short trip and we walk in, hand in hand. She orders a muffin and I do as well, grabbing a coffee for the two of us. We sit across from each other and I hand her a coffee, her fingers wrapping around the cup.

"You have long eyelashes," she says, my eyes glancing to meet her gaze.

Subconsciously, my fingers come up to my eyes and feel the lashes. She smiles and I suddenly begin to feel nervous.

"Is that a good thing?" I ask, her lips curved. She nods and sips her coffee, our muffins placed on our table. I thank the boy and he walks away, Marie looking up at me.

"Okay, are you ready?" I ask, the story itching the surface. Marie nods and reaches across the table, grabbing my hand as I begin.

Flashback

"Mum?" I ask, her body moving to hold me. It's happened again, the nightmares and the fear. I wake up screaming and sweating, out of breath and gasping for air.

"Shh, Haz. It's me," she soothes, holding me tightly. They keep talking to me, the voices that haunt me. They started talking to me after my father passed and now I suffer the consequences.

"Why won't they leave me alone?" I cry, her hand pressed on my cheek.

"Harry, it's just your subconscious. Your father's friends are just visiting," she whispers, kissing my hair.

They scare me. My father was a good man but his friends leave me unsettled. I'm used to being the boy in the house and they've come and stayed. When I'm sleeping, they crack jokes about my mum and I get scared. I don't want them to hurt her. But I've seen the bruises. She has small bruises on her arms from where they've grabbed her.

"Tell them to stop," I plead, their voices ringing through my ears. Nervous and scared doesn't begin to describe how I feel.

"Shh, Haz. It's alright. Go back to sleep," she whispers, my eyes closing. I can tell she leaves when I feel cold again, my body drifting off into sleep. I'm asleep for hours, waking up to the sun in my windows. But I don't feel good. I'm disheveled and weak. Pain surges through me when I try to sit up, my arm cut up. I start crying on impulse and I get out of bed, running to my mum. But she doesn't answer me. She lies in bed and I see her eyes open, not moving. I call 911 and hold her, her shallow breathing scaring me.