one

"Dance?" I ask, Roxie nodding her head. 

"Everyone has to take it for a semester," she explains, my hand running down my face.

The criteria of my schedule consists of piano, dance, and an English class. It's not much but I am being forced to take dance.

"It's not that bad. You have to dance with a partner for your exam and you have to perform in a showcase. It's fun if you have a good partner," she explains, my nose releasing a sigh.

"Who was your partner?" I ask, her lips curving.

"Just some druggy. He was high as shit for the showcase," she laughs, my chuckle heard.

Zayn sits down next to us in the booth, my fingers placing fries into my mouth. Zayn orders a shake and we continue eating together, my friends finding it funny to tease me about dancing.

"It's not that bad," Zayn says, reminding me again.

"Yeah, because you had the best partner anyone could have," Roxie says, my eyes watching as his cheeks deepen a shade of pink.

"What happened?" I ask, his hand running through his hair.

"It's complicated," he sighs, my fingers grabbing the last of my fries.

I nod, simply to stay out of his business. I pay for the food, all of us walking out of the restaurant. As we walk back to my apartment, my hand runs through my hair and I turn my head to face Roxie. But I stop in my tracks, my eyes taking in a beautiful girl.

"Who is she?" I ask, Zayn smiling.

"Marie French. She was my dance partner," he explains, my eyes never seeing such a delicate girl.

Her brown hair is in light curls, her small frame not skinny but definitely slim. Her fingers are wrapped around a coffee cup and her eyes are casted to the book in her hand.

"She's amazing, to say the least," Roxie says, my eyes unable to peel away.

"Her whole demeanor changed two years ago but she's so beautiful. Untouchable, really," Zayn adds, my eyes moving off her.

"What?" I ask, not understanding.

"She was a complete free-spirit. We had so much fun as friends. We danced, had fun, did a ton of shit together, but it stopped so suddenly. After...spending the night together, she received a call and that was it. I still talk to her but it's not as extensive as it used to be," he explains, my eyes glancing back at her. She's standing up and maneuvering through the people, her hazel eyes locking on me for a split second before she turns away.

"Fuck," I groan, Roxie laughing.

"She doesn't associate herself with anyone anymore. She's by herself most of the time," he explains.

"Wait, before. You slept with her?" I ask, Zayn biting his lower lip.

"It was like what you think it was. She asked me to stay with her so I did. It wasn't sex," he explains, my heart beating faster.

"She's had sex before though," Roxie chips in, Zayn nodding.

"Then why is she so shy?"

He shrugs his shoulders. "I don't know and it's not my business."

My lips frown and I say goodbye before I walk towards my apartment, my head spinning with the thoughts of Marie French. She's beautiful; her skin pale and her dark hair cascading perfectly. I've never been one to go for the rowdy, sexy girls; the shy, beautiful ones I find attractive.