five

Entwining my fingers through Marie's, she smiles up at me and I brush my thumb with hers. The beautiful gaze she holds with me is enough to make my heart pound, her warm body lying next to mine. She has refused my hesitation and taken full charge, making me spend the night with her. But if I'm being completely honest, I wouldn't have wanted to leave.

We've been silent, observing each other as the minutes pass. I could stay up for hours watching her; my insomnia affecting me in the best way possible now. But she stays awake, eyes on fire as she looks at me.

"You should sleep," I whisper, her head resting close to my neck.

"I don't want to," she whispers, our fingers holding onto each other's tightly.

"Please. You've had a long day and I'll be here for you," I tell her, my fingers scratching my beanie covered head. I haven't taken it off and I probably won't for she likes my hair in hats. I aim to impress her because I want a relationship with her.

"Really?" she asks, her skin a pale contrast to her navy blue bed sheets.

"Yes, really. Now close your eyes," I whisper, kissing her forehead. She curls onto my body and I hold her, her hand moving out of mine and pressing her fingers over my chest. As we lay, I feel her warmth soothe all my muscles. I relax and my head leans on hers, falling asleep with her securely in my arms.

The morning is slow and I wake up before her again, only getting a few hours of sleep. But she woke me up when I felt tears soaking my neck. Her cheeks are covered in salty tears and I shake her lightly, siting up and bringing her into my arms.

"Shh," I whisper, her arms wrapping around my torso once she wakes up. One of my hand rests on the back of her neck, cradling her as she cries.

"Was it a nightmare?" I ask, her head nodding. My hands bring her cheeks in my palms, cradling her as I wipe the tears away again.

"About what happened to you a while ago?" I ask, her head nodding.

"No one...would be here before. Please...don't go," she whispers, my head shaking.

"Of course not. It's going to be okay," I promise her, holding her as she calms down. It's nearly six in the morning and we were up until one. I just don't want her to feel pain anymore.

Her eyes are soon tear free and she holds my hand in hers, tracing the tattoos around my wrist. Marie moves her body out of my lap and holds my hand, pulling me out of bed. We walk into her kitchen and she begins making something, my help aiding her.

"Muffins?" I ask, her head nodding. We start making the batter and we have a lot of fun getting batter on each other's faces. She laughs so hard when she places some on the bridge of my nose. It's as if she enjoys it when I try to make her laugh. Her laugh is my favorite noise to listen to; even if it's the result of my embarrassment.

"We have barely enough batter to make muffins," she laughs, setting her fingers on my hands. Her small frame is so cute next to mine, her head just at my chest. She'll be able to hear my heart every time I hug her.

"That's alright. I think this is a pretty good sight," I grin, her batter covered face something I find absolutely delectable. She's irresistible even with food all over her face.

"That's a lie," she teases, poking my nose again. Except this time she moves her hands to my cheeks, my eyes trained on her. Please, let her kiss me again.

Her eyes stay on mine and she hesitantly moves her head towards mine, mine moving down to help her. We close the distance and our lips press together again, my hands setting on her waist. I lightly lift her to sit on the counter, making it easier for her. Her fingers stay on my cheeks before they remove my beanie, her lips staying on mine as she takes it off.