Chapter 19

Leah sought silence and solitude for the rest of the day. The only thing that made her smile was Andrew, whose operation had passed successfully and sooner than expected. He had arrived to the military base where Leah was, where he found her sitting on her bed and unable to cry, or even talk.

And although everyone tried to convince her that she had betrayed them with such a stupid move, and disrespected the sacred tradition, she wasn't sorry for breaking the law. But, even Willow blamed her. Still, Leah was not sorry.

"Everyone thinks that I've put their lives in danger. That I acted out of grief and that I have no self-control, or respect." Leah said quietly to Andrew, the tone in her exhausted voice unchanging. "I mean, they're not wrong."

Andrew rested his arm around her shoulder, caressing and comforting her. There were no words that could heal Leah; the only true healer was time. But, Andrew was trying.

"You saved the girl's life, Leah. They should look up to you." Andrew said, lifting up her chin gently and staring into her sorrowful eyes. It was tearing him up, to see her like that. "They shouldn't perceive you as anything less than a hero."

Leah smiled, placing a gentle kiss on his nose. "Thank God I didn't lose you too."

Andrew's smile vanished as he thought of Roxy and Luca, and how they didn't say goodbye. "I can't imagine how much it hurts."

"It hurts like hell." Leah said, taking a deep, shaky breath. "I can't cry for some reason."

"It's normal. Don't worry about crying right now. Your body needs to relax."

"The ones who fought alongside them told me... Luca was practically wailing after her. He was attacked from behind and killed while holding her, wounded, in his arms. I can't help but think that maybe things would've been different if I was there, with them. Maybe they would've been alive right now, cracking jokes with us and teasing Stephanie."

"It's gonna be okay, Leah. I promise. Come here." Andrew said, forcing her to stop inventing possible scenarios and pulling her into his arms. She rested her head on his chest, listening to the soothing sound of his steady heartbeat. "You can't save everyone. And hurting... it will stop."

"What if it never stops, Andrew?" Leah muttered, her first tear falling onto his shirt.

Andrew was silent for a few moments. He was thinking of his little brother, and thinking of lying to Leah again that hurting always stops at some point. But he remembered that lies didn't work for his girl, so he gave up on them.

"Then it will surely become weaker, and weaker, until it's no longer a wound, but a scar." Andrew whispered, cradling her protectively.