Chapter 3

Adjustments were being made at the heart of the Enigma Space Station. The newcomers were appointed to their rooms and showered with the information of how everything functioned on Hiatune. It would take a few weeks, perhaps even a few months, until they got used to the kind of life they only read about in sci-fi books. Leah knew the transition very well and knew it sure wasn't going to be easy on most of them. But at the same time, she was grateful that the aliens, who could've just ignored it, decided to save the planet where her father and childhood memories resided. She would be eternally grateful for that.

Roxy and Leah shared the room, for one year, with a mute girl named Willow, who was about three years younger than them. They talked to her by the use of gestures or writing down everything they needed to say to her, and it had worked pretty well, until she found the company of her own. The age gap between them wasn't that big, they could've got on well, but it was probably much harder for Willow to express everything than it was for Roxy and Leah. Since she had found a girl, who was also mute, to hang out with, she almost completely ignored her roommates and only waved to them before turning off the lights at night. Everyone seemed to be okay with that.

But today, Willow got transferred to another room. It was on her request. One of the newcomers would take her place, as Mrs. Peterson noted. And of course, Roxy waited in anticipation the whole morning. As Roxy swung her feet back and forth during the Stealth and Survival class, Leah watched her, and for a moment, wished she were as careless as her. But no, overthinking and worries followed her every step of the way. Something always bothered her. It was a curse.

Stealth and Survival class was being held two times a week, and was an essential part of their transformation into devoted warriors, who will soon become the pride of Mother Earth. The subject was divided into two parts: the theoretical one and the practice. Practical classes included learning about self-defense in wartime conditions, while the lectures were about surviving in diverse kinds of environment and the distinction between poisonous and non-poisonous plants.

"Learning about Canna Laustris is very important, since it is one of the most poisonous wonders of the Hiatune's flora. It is common in our area and you will undoubtedly encounter its distinct flowers during your tours of the Hiatune's forests. It has tiny, pointed leaves, which are usually pine green. Their flowers are small and their color can vary between black, dark red, light pink and violet. Don't let the beauty of its flowers fool you, because it is the exact source of their poison. Also, some of our researchers suspect that the small thorns the branches of this plant produce, could have their own vicious intelligence, and are not shy to use their capabilities if they sense potential danger, or in case some other creatures tried to take advantage of the plant's flowers." The green-skinned teacher of undistinguishable gender talked with the help of a creative and colorful presentation. Leah thought theory was boring and preferred the adrenaline-fueled self-defense classes. It helped her get rid of the accumulated negative energy. She smiled as she was taking notes from the lecture, but it was a smile full of guilty memory. She remembered that it was Eudepha's advice that she focuses the bigger part of her energy on striving in self-defense classes, promising that it would help her with her unbearable emotions. And it did. But, it had been more than a year since she last went to him to embrace some wisdom through their long conversations, and she knew she was to blame for their distance. Tonight. She gave a mental promise to herself that she would seek him tonight.

After lunch, Leah and Roxy relaxed in their rooms. Roxy had some bothersome muscle cramps after the self-defense class and she was in need of a good massage. Luca was an expert in that, besides being an amazing cook, but she didn't feel like searching for him all over the space station. She glanced at Leah, who was reading a book. Roxy let out a low moan, mostly faked, as she lay on her stomach. Leah didn't even wince. Her new target for a massage wasn't taking the bait.