IX. The Golden Years

It was a cool summer evening. The kind where the breeze is light so it tousles your hair but doesn't mess it up. Chaewon, Yena and Yuri had just finished promoting their latest album so they were on a short break before getting back to writing and composing more songs. Minju had just ended filming a big movie that was set to come out the next year. The girls were on a school holiday. 

That evening they were on a flight to Jeju island where Minju's cousin and Yena's high school classmate, Hyewon lived.

~~

"Aunt Hyewon!!!" was all the warning she got before the bodies of five barrelling girls crashed into her. Hyewon smiled at the adorable faces looking up at her with glee. They would usually meet two to three times a year whenever Hyewon decided to take a quick trip to Seoul but it was the first time the kids were meeting her in Jeju.

After exchanging some quick hugs with the adults, Hyewon loaded the suitcases into the van that she had rented out for their stay and drove off to her house by the beach. 

The ride there wasn't quiet at all. The word quiet was never a thing when all five girls were together and definitely not when the chaotic pairing of Hyewon and Yena were added to the mix. Quiet was something that they could only dream of. The van was filled with loud singing and the occasional squeals when the girls saw something pretty pass by.

~~

The girls were running around on the beach, which could be seen from Hyewon's living room, while the tired adults flopped onto the couch. 

"Travelling with children is hard," Yena whined.

"What are you talking about? You were asleep the whole time," Yuri glared. Chaewon snorted at that. She often wondered how Yuri managed to stay sane with three real children in her house plus an overgrown one, Yena.

"Joyul~" Yena whined again and pulled Yuri into a hug and buried her face in the latter's neck. As much as Yuri was irritated, she didn't have the heart to stay mad at Yena so she hugged back.

Minju was also a bit tired from the plane ride. She had spent most of the plane ride watching cartoons with Wonyoung while Chaewon and Sakura were fast asleep. So, while she was seated on the sofa, Minju laid her head on Chaewon's lap to which the latter smiled fondly at and stroked the younger's hair.

Hyewon fake gagged at the sight in front of her. "I'm convinced that you four came over to make me feel more single than ever. I'm going to go check up on YOUR children while you guys be all fluffy," she said and got up to leave.

Just then, a woman walked into Hyewon's house. She had long black hair and dark eyes. She seemed startled by the number of people in the house. "Oh sorry. I didn't know you had company," she apologised.

"It's fine. I was going to introduce you to them later anyway,". Both Yena and Minju exchanged looks when they noticed the blush creep up Hyewon's neck. "This is my cousin Minju,"

"Hello," Minju waved at the woman by the door.

"This idiot here is Yena,"

"Hi! and I'm not an idiot," Yena pouted.

"You are," the other four echoed.

"That's Chaewon and that's Yuri,"

"Hello,"

"Hi there,"

"Guys, this is Eunbi, my neighbour,"

"It's nice to finally meet all of you. Hyewon talks about you all the time," she said shyly.

Oh? So that was the new neighbour that Hyewon mentioned to Minju. She has to admit, Eunbi is way prettier in person compared to how Hyewon described her. She made eye contact with Yena who had the same mischievous smirk on her face.