THIRTEEN

AGATHA'S POV

After the ritual that night, I had grown so faint... Lost a lot of blood. If it had been successful or not would be confirmed after  three days.
     Harry had died, obviously. With the thought and hope that he was coming back, being resurrected.

    Becka took care of breaking the news to his family.
He'd be buried, then unburied on the third midnight.
       I never followed up if they had done that, I sneaked for school. Which ended in disaster after I passed out cold.
Whoever had saved me, had probably called my family because I woke in my room.
*                *               *

  Someone drew open the long chocolate curtains. A furious spill of light filled the room. Though not the usual warm sunlight, it was enough to scorch my eyes.
      "Gawd."

"Wake up beauty," Vale.
When I tried sitting, a wave of nausea choked my throat. I turned to the edge, saw a bucket waiting to receive the content I puked.
    The disgusting sour taste of vomit remained on the walls of my throat.

      "Sorry baby," she whispered rubbing my back.
When I was done, Nanny handed me a little blue towel.
  "How do you feel now?"
"A little...better," answered honestly.

    Vale took the bucket.

"I'll get your food dear."
I tried to smile, but felt so pathetically low.
As much as Vale had raised me, I couldn't tell her whatever bothered me. She was safer in the darkness, with nothing to worry about.

         Gathering the chunks of energy scattered throughout my body, I rose and headed for the balcony doors, which were also my windows... The air was tight, with tiny flakes falling. A warning of the coming winter.

  The big black gates over five hundred meters away, always guarded by two security men seemed strange today... I observed through a squint, the guards weren't there.

       Instead, one male in black stood there... His head suddenly cocked up towards my direction.
And I jumped startled. Felt as if he could see, or worse, hear my thoughts.

  "Aga-" "Ah!" I screamed startled.

Vale's soft laugh echoed through the room.
"Come eat dear. And why do you look shocked?"

   "You scared the wits out of me Nanny... Besides, I was too busy observing outside." I sat on the bed, while she set the platter and wine on the night table.

    "It's changing I know."

"The gatemen?" Asked observing her expression.
   "Ah! They, well, took a break."
She was lying. Her lips seemed dryish.
"You taught me how not to lie Nanny? What are you hiding?"

   Before she opened her mouth, a frame walked in briskly... My eyes shot to collide with the cold pair of, gray. Fluffy white hairs, his extra pale skin, clear of any wrinkles or rots to date him back to history.

       Athaga Cruise.

He looked down at us from the doorway... Nanny immediately rushed out in a single fierce look.

    "Agatha?" The devil breathed coming closer. For some reincarnated person from an age of zero fashion and color, he actually looked good in the black suit.
           "Finally, I meet you in person."
He kissed my forehead, then sat close to my knees.
    "What is it? Ain't you happy old Grandpa is back?"
I huffed rolling my eyes.
    "Happy doesn't cover what I'm feeling?" Gave a scornful reply shifting to face the door instead of looking at him.

  "Dear? Now is that how you welcome me?"
"How exactly am I supposed to welcome you? Hugs and throw myself at your feet?"

   Our gazes smashed again.

Oddly, I wasn't bitter as I sounded. A strange part of me was grateful that he was here. That he had come to check on me personally. Something nobody ever did.

   "Say what you feel dear," he stated, his eyes grasping mine to my soul... My entire system felt pressured, my heart rate rose.
    "I'm...I'm...glad you're...here."
Yes, the truth had just been forced out of me through a hard stare in his gray eyes.
       When he blinked, the invisible strangle died. I took a series of endless breaths like was having an asthma attack.

  "Good girl. Now eat," he encouraged looking at the plate of rice and fried chicken.
    "We have a lot to talk about. A lot to hear from you."
His tone was eager, cheerful.
  Had me wondering if he'd come from the dead to chat with his long chained granddaughter that used to hate him. Used. The word rang again inside my head.
*                *             *

      He entwined our arms. Smiled down at me honestly.

It was time I accepted reality, Grandpa was back. And from the feel of things, he could be the only person on earth to care about me. So why not enjoy the moment.
     "You look  like a duchess, the finest maiden to walk on the face of earth in that family dress," he complimented sincerely.

"Tha...Thanks, Grandpa," I whispered the Grandpa.

     The dress, an old one from the fifteens, it was all cream, fluffy at the skirt. Its corset was a little tight, but fitted perfectly.
The top had breasts cups, and two thin strips that ran on my chest to the back to form an 'X'.
          I had refused to wear any jewellery or make-up. Besides, it was only a small family party with no outsiders. Just, the Cruises.

  From the landing, I got a clear view of the huge lounge stretching end to end.
       Everyone else was in black like Grandpa, and waiting for us at the foot of the large stairs.

   For the very first time, I felt important, recognised, appreciated.
"These my dear, are our closest allies," the old man whispered softly.
            As we descended, I noticed the rare shade of blond hair amongst them... As eyes met, I could have frozen at the spot...Harry.
He offered a weird grin.
    Upon setting feet on the ground, old jazz boomed from the large black music box at near corner of the room.

"Tonight, we dance, tomorrow, we rule," Grandpa announced.
      Everyone gave decent claps.
But not me. I'd be the rebellious granddaughter. And he'd either get used to it, or kick his butt back to hell.

  The dance floor was quickly occupied. Partners were exchanged. That went on and on, till I landed in, Harry's arms.
      He was warm, still had his fabulous looks, but felt so different... "You look ready to steal hearts out there," Harry whispered in my ear.

His left arm was curling on my upper waist, the right entwining fingers with my left.
      For a minute, he just held me against himself. Smelling my hair and neck, ignoring the rare gray eyes watching us from the drinks table next to the music box.

I unglued from Grandpa, and pulled back to look at Harry.

  "What happened to you?"

He offered the most strangest grin, exposing one long upper canine. Energy flushed out of me, and I fainted on him.
    "Agatha?" Grandpa's roar struck my ears, then he was there, taking me from Harry's arms.

  The music died as I was laid on the couch.
        "She still doesn't have enough blood," Becka announced feeling my pulse at my neck.

"Then get her blood dammit!"

The mention of that word made my intestines twist. And the wave swept from inside, then bloody puke was splashing out of my mouth to Grandpa's chest.
     He grunted a curse, but didn't make a fuss of it.

  "Call the hospital!"

"Um... We have one problem Pa-"
       "What?"
The air had gone from tight, to solid. There was anger stitched to it, glares sprinkled on it.

  "We couldn't find her match... You do know she's one of a kind."

    "Will," I whispered in my half conscious state.
"Who's Will?"
"The bastard that is nothing but trouble." Came Harry's disgusted voice.
        "Go get him. NOW!"

Drip! Drip! Drip!
   Liquid darkness.