You Disobeyed Me (Nineteen)

Vincent woke me up the next morning for breakfast. After my shower I got dressed in a black lacy dress with some white leggings and black boots. My diamond earrings looked perfect with the white bow in my black hair. Vincent kissed my forehead before asking me to get Sarah awake and dressed; he was going to wake up his mother and brother. I nodded to him and walked out the door hand in hand with him, until we parted ways.

                “Sarah sweetie?” I asked as I knocked on her door.

                “Lucia?” She said in a quiet voice.

                “Your brother needs you to get up for breakfast, okay?” I said walking over to the king size bed in the all grey room. The room itself was large, filled with the necessary furniture items for a bedroom. It also had a couch, a balcony, a walk-in closet, and a bathroom. It was a dull room though.

                “My brother?” She asked.

                “Vincent.”

                “Oh him. He’s not my real brother.” She said in that matter-of-fact tone that Vincent uses.

                “He’s not?” I asked, picking her up and walking her to the bathroom.

                “Nope.” She said, resting her head on my shoulder.

                “Why isn’t he?” I asked her and I sat her down on the side of the bath tub so I could draw her bath water.

                “Because my mommy died and he’s my uncle.”

                “Kinnley was your mother?” I asked astonished.

                “Yes. I never knew her.”              

                “But I thought that you were only five? Vincent told me she died a while ago.”

                “She did and I am. I’m five in vampire years. They are different than human years.”

                “Oh. I see.”

                After finishing her bath I dressed her in a red dress with black tights and little red shoes. She looked absolutely adorable. While we were walking downstairs I starting tickling her; she returned the favor. We were both giggling as we made our way into the dining room. When we entered everyone looked up at us. Maya had a crazy look in her eyes. I instinctively wrapped my arms around Sarah and let her sink into me.

                “I thought I killed you, slut!” She screeched.

                “Mother, calm down please, it’s just Sarah.” Vincent tried to stop her.

                “No! She must be burned, that little witch!” Maya screamed as Sarah starting to cry into my neck.

                “Maya, please, you’re scaring her.” I said, hoping it would help.

                “Good! She needs to be scared, that whore!” At this point Maya was a few feet away from us, as was Vincent. Gren was sitting down, still eating his breakfast as if nothing was wrong. “I told you Philip! I told you they all are turning against us. Burn them all I say!” She screamed to Vincent.

                “Mother, it’s me, Vincent. Your son. This is Sarah, your granddaughter. You need to calm down.”

                ‘When I tell you to, run with Sarah up to the bedroom. Lock the door.’ I heard Vincent say in my head. I turned to give him a nod to show that I understood. ‘Run.’ I scrambled trying to get out of there without dropping the now screaming Sarah. I tried to calm her by making “shh”ing noises, but she just kept wailing.

                We finally got upstairs to Vincent’s room. I locked the door and sat Sarah on the bed. My heart was pounding, but I was just trying to breath.

                “What did I do to her?” She asked me.

                “Nothing baby, grandmother isn’t quite right. She’s sick.” I told her while rubbing her back.

                “I want my uncle Vince.” She cried more.

                “I know, he’ll be here soon.” I hope.

                After about an hour she was fast asleep. It was comforting to know that she was alright, but I couldn’t say the same for Vincent. I decided that if he didn’t come back in an hour I would go looking for him. I needed to know that he was alright. I spent the hour watching television, not loudly, for I did not wish to wake Sarah. Then I grabbed a pen and a piece of paper and started drawing a portrait of Sarah. She looked so beautiful and innocent. It made me wish I could be young again. I wish I had nothing to worry about, not boys, not school, not being a slave. I wish I had no one to please but myself, but that just wasn’t the case anymore. I would never be independent. I guess that would be okay with me as long as I have someone here for me.

                It had been an hour. I wanted to find Vincent. So I snuck out of the room, locking the door behind me, knowing that if Vincent didn’t have a key he could just blink in and unlock the door. I first decided to start where I left off: the dining room. When I got down there, nothing was out of the ordinary. It was just empty with a few slaves dusting. I walked over to one of them and asked them where Vincent went. She said nothing, looked down, and then continued dusting. I passed it off as a scared girl and walked into the kitchen. It was loud, very loud. People were hustling trying to make food, I guess for the many people that live here. The ones I never saw or heard. I then walked into the amazing living room. No one was there either. I decided that they could be outside, so I walked to the garden. And that’s where I saw it.

                Vincent was standing there with his back turned, blood all over his hands, dripping on the ground.

                “Vincent?” I asked quietly and nervously. He turned around. He was covered in blood.

                “Lucia dear, I told you to stay inside. You disobeyed me.” He said the first part sweetly, but the second part told me to run. So that’s what I did. I ran. I ran until I hit something hard and blacked out.