A Lovely Surprise (Forty-Three)

“Hello? May I help you?” I asked to the strange man wearing all black clothes. They were ripped, as was the mask that covered his face. His boots had holes growing in them. He was standing by the front door when I had opened it to take my new puppy out.

                “Yes.” He told me.

                “What could I help you with, sir?” He didn’t say anything for a minute, but brought his eyes up to meet mine. His eyes were white, just like Vincent’s.

                “I need to speak to my son. With you, you and my son. No one else can see that I’m here, though. Come, we must be hasty.” I nodded and let him in, without thinking about it twice. I led him up into our bedroom where Vincent was asleep on the bed. I smiled and went to jump on him when the man who claimed to be Vincent’s father grabbed my arm.

                “What?” I whispered in case he didn’t want me to wake Vincent.

                “Don’t jump on him.”

                “Why not? It’s not going to hurt him.” I shook my head. Overprotective father much?

                “No. You, dear.”

                “I’m a vampire too; I don’t think I’ll get hurt by jumping on him.” He was crazy or something.

                “I’m not crazy. Vampire children are rather hard to carry. Jumping around will make it more likely that you’ll lose it.” I’m sure my face was in shock, “By the looks of your face you didn’t even know you were pregnant.” He shook his head and took off him mask. His hair was black, like Vincent’s. He looked young, very young, but you could tell that he was much older than what appeared. He had scars on his face. But no matter how many scars he had there was no denying that he was Vincent’s father. “Shall we wake him up?” I nodded my head, walking over to him I placed my hand on his head and ruffled his hair, telling him to get up.

                “Five more minutes.” He whined.

                “Your father is here Vincent. Get up.” He shot straight up and looked from me to his father. He quickly fixed his messy hair and grabbed his shirt that had been lying on the floor. Then he ran to his father and shook his hand. Just a hand shake?

                “Father, you’ve returned.” Vincent was smiling, but I could see fear in his eyes.

                “There is much I have to discuss with all of you. Shall we sit?” He walked to the couch and sat down. Vincent sat down opposite of him and pulled me down beside him. “Now,” he began, “I’ve been away and I am going away again. I just wanted to share some things with you. Vincent, I’ve been silently watching you through the years. I’m proud of your decisions. I am truly proud to call you my son. I know that you will make an amazing king, and I am proud that you have chosen her to be your queen. I also know that that child will grow up happy and loved.” Vincent looked down to me, apologetically.

                “Thank you, father.” Vincent replied.

                “You want to know where I have been, yes?” Vincent nodded. “I’ve been running from my problems. I was sick of being king, I was sick of being the person everyone looks to when they want to find faults in someone else. So I left. I decided that it was time to live the life that I wanted. I never wanted to be king. And I knew that if I left you’d be safe, you would be king. Even as a child you dreamt of being king.” He smiled, “So I figure that when I go, you can take your place. I figured that no one would hurt my family again if I left. I was wrong, but that’s alright, because you kept this family together.” He was still smiling, but Vincent was frowning.

                “How? By killing my own mother?” He was on the verge of tears. I hugged him to me.

                “No. By doing whatever it took to keep those a part of your family safe. Your mother was no longer a part of the family. And I know that you and Lucia will keep your family together. I’m out of time though. I have to go. I promise you, Vincent, we will see each other one more time, when you need me the most. Goodbye son, goodbye Lucia, goodbye grandchild.” He smiled.

                “It was nice to meet you, sir.” I spoke softly. He nodded.

                “Goodbye, father.” Vincent gave his father a hug. I smiled. Then his father was just gone.

                “I’m sorry.” He said.

                “For what?”

                “That I didn’t tell you.”

                “Tell me what?”

                “That you’re pregnant.” He mumbled looking down.

                “How long have you known?” I assumed he had just found out when his father had told us.

                “A week. That’s as long as you’ve been pregnant. You see, when the vampiress gets pregnant, male vampires can tell immediately. There are mind waves it sets off that only male vampires can hear. Female vampires don’t know that they’re pregnant until a few months, when they start showing and feeling sick.” This was much different than human pregnancy.

                “So what else is there to know?” I asked him, while lying back on the bed.

                “Well the pregnancy lasts anywhere from seven months to a year, sometimes longer or shorter. You have to be really careful with not moving around too much because it’s easy to lose vampire babies. You have to drink twice the amount of blood, which is bad for me since you’re spoiled.” He smiled at the last part.

                “You’re the one that spoiled me first, so don’t start.” He crossed my arms over my chest.

                “I know I did, and I’m very very happy I did.” He uncrossed my arms and pulled up my shirt so he could leave a kiss for the baby. I smiled at him. Then the puppy jumped onto the bed.

                “Hey puppy.” I spoke. She still didn’t have a name.

                “What is her name, Lucia?” Vincent was patting her on the head.

                “How about…” I thought for a minute, “Cleo?”

                “Cleo, my love, sounds hot. Wanna go out on a date?” Vincent asked Cleo, faking cool.

                “Sorry, Cleo, he’s mine.”

                “All yours,” He pecked my lips, “And yours.” He pecked my stomach.