She Is Insane (Fourteen)

We sat in the dining room waiting for his mother to arrive. They joked around like they were young boys. I smiled at Vincent then because he seemed so happy and content, like nothing in the world could bring him down. It was then that I decided no matter what he wanted, no matter what he asked me to do, I would, if only to make him happy. He deserved it, even though he had put me through so much pain in the past, besides, as he said things have changed. I may still be a slave, but I was more than that. And although I’m sure what the other slaves and Vincent himself had told me about the ranking system was true, I found my own way to the top. And there was no greater feeling than to know that I am alive and well, and that even though things are not how I had pictured them being at this age, I was happy. I also promised myself to tell Vincent everything about my past, present, and future, because I truly could trust him with everything, and I know that he feels the same. Today when we saved each other things started changing, and they will continue to change until we are where we need to be. Though I had once read stories of vampires and monsters I never thought I would end up loving one. This was hard for me to admit, even to myself. I was lost in the laughter when a young woman, looking about 29 walked slowly through the door, and holding on to anything she could. Vincent quickly got up and helped her into the seat across from me and beside Gren. She looked at Vincent as if he were a long lost child, then to Gren the same. Then she looked at me and smiled warmly like she had known me her whole life. I smiled back at her.

                “Lucia, darling, it’s so nice to finally meet you!” She said in a high pitched voice as she flipped her long brown hair over her shoulder.

                “It’s very nice to meet you too.” I had so many questions, but I would ask them later when Vincent and I were alone in his room.

                “I am Maya, Vincent and Gren’s mother.” Her blue eyes pierced through me, but made me feel warm instead of the cold I was expecting. He pointed features were horrifyingly beautiful, as were her two children.

                “Mother?” Vincent asked cautiously. This meant I needed to watch what I said around her too, I guess.

                “Yes, son?” She asked, snapping her head to look at him.

                “Where is Sarah?” Her face got serious, as did everyone else’s.

                “She’s dead.” His mother said with a bored tone.

                “What do you mean? What happened to her?” Vincent couldn’t hide the panic and worry in his voice.

                “I killed her. She’s gone. End of the story, son.” She was now looking at something on the ceiling.

                “You kill-ed her?” His voice broke. “Why?”

                “Yes. She was being a little slut. So I got rid of that trash.” She was now looking at me again, smiling contently.

                “She was five years old!” He screamed.

                “YES! A FIVE YEAR OLD SLUT!” She screamed back, standing. Something told me she was batshit crazy.

                “How was my baby sister a slut?” He asked calmly, though I could see the tears in his eyes threatening to spill over.

                “I saw her spreading herself to those men. I saw it with my own two eyes! She did it, Philip, I know she did!” Philip? Who was Philip?

                “Mother, it’s Vincent. Dad is gone, remember?” He asked.

                “Gone? Gone where?” She looked shocked.

                “Mother why don’t you go lie down?”

                “NO! WHERE IS MY HUSBAND!?” She screeched so loudly that I had to hold my ears. Then she felt to the ground. Her purple dress engulfed her.

                “Well…That went good.” Gren stated.

                “Shut up.” Vincent told him. “Help me get her up.” I watched as they picked up the woman and took her to a spare bedroom on the second floor. I followed Vincent the whole way. He looked like he was going to cry.

                “I’m going to go lay down in the other room, bro.” Gren said as he walked into another spare room. Vincent turned and looked at me.

                “Can we go back to our room? I want to talk to you about some things. Then I need you to go with me to my mother’s house. I need to look for Sarah.” I nodded as we began walking to his room. I felt so bad for him. His mother was completely insane. Maybe his sister wasn’t dead though, I really hoped that she wouldn’t be. I would go anywhere with him. I’d do anything for him. Just as long as I could keep him happy and safe.