Colin

This world now made everything I had achieved so pointless. All the studying all the work and stress. For nothing. I went from nothing to something and earnt myself a living but now it was all gone. Because now it was either you're alive, or you're dead.

"Your heads healing nicely, I'm going to take out the stitches" Samantha said. She was the doctor of this place. In her mid fifties, mother of Nathan.
"Okay" I replied. Samantha cut along the stitches gently, and eased them out with the tweezers.
"Are you sure you're going to be alright on the run today?" She asked.
"I'll be fine, besides, I'm fed up of lying around all day" I smiled. She laughed.
"Just be careful out there, don't put too much pressure on yourself" she handed me a bottle of pills. I looked up at her. "Painkillers" she said. "You're going to need them, twice a day, 1 tablet. Although there is no serious injury it will cause a lot of pain."
"Thanks Samantha" I stood up.
"Come back and see me anytime" she smiled. I nodded and walked out.
I walked out of the main building into the street. I headed back to our house.
"Hey Michonne, how you feeling?" I looked to my right, it was Nathan.
"A lot better" I let out a slight smile.
"Glad to hear it" he smiled before walking on.

When I got back to the house Mike and Terry were sat at the breakfast table. "Hey Michonne best get yourself something to eat, we leave in 10 mins" Terry said, getting up as I walked into the kitchen. I nodded.
"What did she say?" Mike asked once Terry had left the room.
"It should be fine, she took out the stitches, says I gotta keep the bandage on for another couple days until it's completly healed but it's good." I replied.
"That's good" Mike said. I took a tin of fruit from the cupboard and tipped it into the bowl. I sat down at the table opposite Mike and slowly ate the sliced pinapple. I didn't know what to say to him. I couldn't even talk to my own boyfriend, the father of my son. I watched as he got up and tucking in his chair. "Be at the front door in 5 minutes" Mike said, he rubbed my back before heading out the kitchen. I pushed away the bowl and put my head in my hands. Don't cry Michonne. Don't cry for gods sake. I choked back the tears and looked blankly out the kitchen window. Mia walked in with Andre.
"Hey be careful out there today won't you?" Mia said. I nodded and stood up. She caught sight of my red eyes and grabbed my hand. "Are you okay?" She asked. I shook my head. She sat Andre down at the table. She flung her arms around me and hugged me tightly. "You'll be okay Michonne, I know it, you're the strongest person I know" she loosened her grip and looked at me. "He loves you Michonne, just this world distracts people from the things that mean the most."
I nodded and rubbed my eyes. "Thank you" I said. I took 2 of my painkillers and took a gulp of water. "See you later baby, be good for Mia" I held Andre's face in my hand and smiled. He nodded and smiled back. I thanked Mia once more before heading towards the front door, I grabbed my katana and headed out the door.

"Ready?" Terry said. I nodded and we headed towards the main building. Nathan stood outside surrounded by a group of around 8 men.
"Head into the armoury take a weapon of your choice" he told the men and they headed inside. Mike and Terry following. I stood outside. I'd rather use my katana than a gun anyday.
I grew up fencing, was Iowa champion for many years. But I stopped when my dad died. He was the one who got me into fencing, taught me as soon as I could stand. I took it back up a few years ago, Mike convinced me into it. I'm glad now.
"Stay safe everyone, I'll have the radio if you need anything." Nathan said. There was 11 of us. 10 men and me. I felt rather out of place but who gives a damn, I was just as strong. There were  3 cars lined up. We took the 3rd car, with a man named Colin. In his mid thirties, your average man. Car sales man - from the looks of it anyway. He was driving.
"So where we heading Colin?" Terry asks.
"Stanley said the big Mooresville hardware store, just a few miles away. They went scouting about a week back, said the place looked untouched" he replied.
"So how'd you end up here Colin?" Mike asked.
"Nathan is a friend of mine, when things went to hell he called. Said he could use some help. Nathan worked at the witness protection site, said he was going to keep it up and running, big fences, loads of food. I trust him, so I went." He said.
"You ever had any trouble?" I asked.
"Not really." He said. "Well we had a group come by a few weeks back, bikers, about 6 men. Tried to take the compound. They breached the front gates, shot 2 of our men. Leon and Josh." And then he became quiet.
"What happened?" Mike asked.
"We shot them, all 6. Nathan will not let anyone hurt those people back there." He said.
"You gotta do what you gotta do." Mike said, Terry nodded in agreement.

We got out the car. It was a huge hardware store, and they were right. Untouched. Even the shop windows displayed fishing rods and gear, garden equipment.
"Nathan says we need sharp weapons, tools, and as much barbed wire as possible. Hammers, nails anything that can help build up the walls. We go round in 2's. Call out if you need help, keep it silent, no guns unless we get overrun." Stanley said, before he gave the nod to Harry to pry the door open with his crowbar. Terry had paired up with Colin whilst I stood with Mike. I took out my katana and held it infront of me. "Clear the building, one person keeps guard whilst the other carrys equipment. Got it?" Stanly said. We nodded and began to head into the building.
The store was long, maybe 150 metres or so. "You keep guard, I'll carry" Mike said. I nodded. We stepped around the furthest shelf, the garden tools. Mike loaded his arms with 5 shovels. I stood behind him, looking down either side of the ailes. A biter stumbled around the corner. An employee. Didn't look too old, Mark - said the name tag. I headed towards him. Plunging my katana into his forehead as he approached. He fell quickly to the floor, creating a pool of blood. I headed back towards Mike and we headed back towards the car. He put the equipment into the boot and we headed back inside. Mike headed towards the axes, he pulled them off the wall and held 7 piled on top of his arms. There was a bag and I looked towards the staff door. It shuddered, and then again. I headed over and slowly turned the cold metal doorknob. It swung forwards throwing me backwards. A biter lunged out and it stumbled towards Mike. I swung my katana horizontally, piercing it's neck, taking off the head. "Nice one" Mike said. I nodded. I stepped inside the staff room. In the corner of the room stood a water machine, with a huge carton of water. Mike stepped inside also. I looked accross at the blank screen small TV's, the security cameras. I searched through the desk laced underneath it.
"What are you looking for?" Mike asked. Pens, paper, keys.
"Aha" I said pulling out the small magnum shoved to the back of the draw.
"Called it" Mike said. He laughed.
"It's yours" I tucked it into the back of his belt. I grabbed the water carton and held it tightly in my one arm and we headed back towards the main door. Mike chucked the axes in the boot. Colin and Terry had loaded the rest of the boot with nails, screws, hammers and even a nail gun.
"Nail guns mine" Terry smiled at me, noticing I had saw it.
"I ain't ever trusting you with that thing" I laughed.
Sudenly there was a loud bang, and then a crash, and another.
"Help me! Help me!" A voice whined out we ran back inside.
5 of the shelves had been knocked down, under one was Carlson. Then we heard the groans. Biters, 10's of them stumbled out from the stock room at the back. Drew to Calsons shouts. They were employees, probably held up in there when it all broke out. Stanley and 2 other men jumped into action, shooting the biters. "Help me lift it!" Colin called over to me Mike and Terry, he pulled at Carlsons shoulder trying to free him. I pushed the top of the fallen shelf whilst Mike and Terry pulled at the sides. Colin pulled Carlson out quickly and we dropped the shelf back to the ground. The biters were closing in, too many too take down at once.
"Get outa there!" Shouted Stanley. Mike took Carlsons arm and pulled it over his shoulder. Helping him out. He limped, his leg soaked with blood. We ran outside, Mike sat Carlson down in the car and I jumped beside him in the backseat.
"C'mon T!" Mike shouted to Terry. Terry ran out of the building, followed by Colin.

It was too late to save him. Everyone was too busy getting back into the cars too realise that a biter stumbling quickly towards Colin as he exited the store. It pulled him backwards. Took a chunk out his neck. Horror grew on Mikes face. Terry turned back to see Colin's deadly fate. His expression dropped. A shot rang out. It was Stanley. He shot the biter clear blank in the forehead. Colin's cries were loud and ear piercing, they sent shivers down my spine. Terry stepped towards Colin. The biters from inside the store only a few metres away. Terry pulled out his gun and he shot Colin in the forehead. Putting him out his misery. Before he turned, expressionless and headed towards the car. He opened the door and sat in the passengers seat. Mike leaped into the Drivers seat and started the car. The other cars roared to a start and sped quickly down the road, Mike followed behind.