Atlanta

We were getting close to Atlanta maybe another 50 miles, it was around midday, we had been driving all night. Mike and Terry took it in turns. The only problem was from now the only way into Atlanta was on the highway. We drove closer to the highway and could see alongside it, there were cars scattered across the roads, abandoned. When we finally pulled onto the highway tensions were high and Mia clutched my hand tightly. Here was asleep.
"We should be able to work our way around the cars" Mike said.
"Yeah doesn't look too clumped up" Terry replied. We weaved around the cars, slowly. The highway was gloomy and silent. Dead bodies rotted in the cars, the skin torn away from them by biters. It sent a shiver down my spine.
"The highway takes us straight into Atlanta. There's a vantage point up on the side of the road there, should give us a good look of Atlanta" Mike said. I nodded. Mike drove off the highway and onto the grassy bank. He stopped the car a few metres away from the edge. He got out, as did I. Terry stayed in the car with Mia and Andre. We continued to walk up the hill and looked over the horizon at the City of Atlanta. It's buildings stood high and mighty as always. I used to come here all the time for trips with my mom and dad. It had been a long time since I'd seen the beauty of the city.

But it wasn't the same. Mike gasped. His jaw wide at the horrific sites. Fires scattered the floors of Atlanta. Buildings had been destroyed and Black smoke streamed high Up into the air. It was a waste ground. Figures lined the streets. Biters. Hundreds of them, thousands. Mikes head dropped and he whispered "God dammit".
"There has to be somewhere" I said. I put my hand on his shoulder. And he julted away.
"There ain't nowhere" he spat angrily. He headed back to the car. But I still stood on the horizon and I looked over what used to be my childhood memory now turned into a graveyard. We had to try, there is somewhere down there. I know it.

Mike had turned on the radio. The broadcast continued to run "Atlanta - safety camps for all". Terry started up the car and drove back onto the highway.
"We have to try Mike" I said. He snarled.
"Fine, but it's your death wish" he growled. His words hurt and I looked out the window, trying to digest his harsh words. Mia needed this, we needed this.. I need this. I just want just a sign of hope. I felt Mia take hold of my hand. I looked across and she smiled. Her face was worn, her eyes still a deep red, with dark black circles beneath her eyes. I admired her, all that pain and she could still smile. I squeezed her hand. Terry continued to drive down the highway. And we were heading straight on to the city. The cars that littered the highway became less and less, until there was none. The road was bare, but the other side of the road was jam packed with cars - trying to get out of the city. They were dead, every last one of them. But not a biter in sight.

We drove in the city, in the outskirts the city were abandoned. With dead bodies lying in the streets. We kept to the outskirts, driving round the city. The odd biter stumbled into view but other than that, it seemed empty.
"There's no one here." Terry said.
"They must be further in the city? There has to be someone. Somewhere" I said.
"Didnt you see Michonne, they are all dead!" Mike said angrily.
"We have to try!" I argued back. Terry drove on further into the city, more biters stumbled around the streets. Andre whimpered, covering his eyes. And Mia's eyes were wide with fear. Terry drove quickly dodging the biters. One stumbled out infront of the car, Terry drove straight into it. It bounced off the bonnet. The car julted to a stop.
"Start the car!" Mike said, the biters headed towards the car. Terry twisted the keys and the car refused to start. The biters closed in on the car and they clawed at the windows.
"Start the God damn car!" Mike shouted and the car jumped to life. Terry sped down the main road, before turning the corner. And he stopped, suddenly. I looked ahead, the street was crowded with biters, jam packed to the brim with walking corpes. They turned to the sound of life and headed towards the car. Terry reversed quickly, spinning the car around and driving in the opposite direction.
"Oh crap. Oh crap" Terry trembled. He drove quickly back towards the outskirts.
"It's all dead. There is so safe place there." Terry trembled.
"Take us back to the highway T, we got to keep going, get as far away from here as we can" Mike said. Terry sped back to the highway and drove down the wrong side of the road, the clear road. I looked across as the other side of the highway. I understand now, I understand why they were all trying to leave. Tears fell down Mia's cheeks, all her hope was lost. She needed a safe place, a safe place for her and the baby. I held her hand. She stared out the window. Andre clung tightly to me.
"Are the monsters gone now mommy?" He opened his eyes.
"Yeah.. They're gone now baby." I said. I brought Andre on to my lap, and held him tightly in my arms. I hurried my head in his shoulder as I cried softly. He took ahold of one of my dreads. He loved them, he always messed with them and put them on his head which made him giggle. Then he wiped a tear away from face, smiling at me. I kissed his cheek and he leaned into my shoulder and curled up.
"Where are we going to go?" Terry said sadly.
"We just got to keep going. Keep on the road until we find a safe place" Mike said. Terry nodded.