Chapter Twenty-three: Truth and Lies

Tsunade was at work on Neji Hyuga. Tenten had only a few bruises and cracked ribs that were easily restored. Lee was hurt from his use of the Eight Gates, but the damage was straightforward to heal and could be left to Shizune. The Sound Four and Anko were being tended by her lesser medical ninja and were in remarkably good health. Except for Sakon and Ukon, who were very badly hurt. But they had regeneration, and the damage they had sustained was less complicated.

Orochimaru was just as complicated to heal as, Neji, if not more so. He had chakra exhaustion. He had been beaten to a pulp and had a chakra system Tsunade could not begin to understand. One that seemed to be in bad condition. As such, she had decided to put it off for last. Partially because she did not dare rush treating someone she did not understand. But mostly because Orochimaru really deserved to sit there and rot for a bit.

"Is Neji going, to be alright?" asked Tenten.

Tsunade frowned. "More than alright. He is recovering without my use of healing Jutsu. His body seems to be drawing in chakra from the surrounding region to stimulate cell growth. That's what concerns me, actually." Neji's eyes were not an ordinary Byakugan. They were shining with light when she examined them.

"But his eyes, do you know what happened?" asked Tenten.

Tsunade had a theory on the subject. "I believe it may be the Kyūseishu Byakugan."

"Kyūseishu Byakugan?" asked Tenten.

"The next level of the Byakugan," said Tsunade. "Before the Leaf Village came to be, the Hyuga Clan were feudal lords with influence over territories. When they joined the village, they maintained their rights. Technically they still hold the title.

"The founder of the Hyuga Clan, Hiashi Hyuga, had access to a power called the Kyūseishu Byakugan. It did not take energy to maintain, and it remained in his eye perpetually. With 360 vision, no one was able to take him by surprise, and his ability to influence chakra was the stuff of legend. His perception of chakra was in-depth.

"It was said he could predict the movements of enemies before they even made plans to make them. He was never defeated in battle and died of old age. Only a few after him gained the Kyūseishu Byakugan, and none of them ever had the same mastery of it. The last of them died long before Hashishima and Madara came to power.

"And no Hyuga since has ever learned it. I thought it was a myth."

"Then why does no one know about this?" asked Tenten.

"The Hyuga Clan hates to admit weakness," said Tsunade. "It is a humiliation that no one has gained it. The method for achieving it was lost.

"What did Neji do before he got it? I'm sure Hiashi will want to know."

"The last thing he did was take a sword for Lee," said Tenten. "Maybe sacrificing yourself for someone else is the key."

"I can't believe for an instant that no Hyuga has performed an act of sacrifice in hundreds of years," said Tsunade. "The matter is worth considering, at least."

"I always wondered why the Byakugan was the equal of the Sharingan when the Sharingan had so many forms," said Tenten. "So Neji is going to be even more powerful when he wakes up?"

"Possibly," said Tsunade. "But this might not be cause for celebration. We have no idea what kind of effects this might have on him."

"Lady Tsunade!" called Shizune as she rushed down.

"Shizune, what is it?" asked Tsunade.

"We've finished our work on the wounded ninja," said Shizune. "The Sound Four should all make full recoveries. Anko is recovering, and with some chakra poured into her system; she is being restored."