Chapter Nineteen: Buildup and Breakups

Michiru and Hikaru had stopped complaining, thank God.

Or at the very least they weren't complaining as much and hadn't been for the past week. Michiru's rolls of fat had begun to fade away from nonstop exercise and a diet of trail rations. Hikaru walked in silence, looking down on the ground.

On and on it had gone, until the two could no longer complain. Anko kept them moving at a breakneck pace, and now they treated to some blissful silence. Kin had taken to walking in the rear with them if only to make sure the idiots didn't pass out and die.

"Do you do this often?" asked Michiru.

"Do what?" asked Kin.

"Journey like this nonstop with hardly any food?" asked Michiru.

"I don't even notice, to be honest," said Kin, hands in her pocket. "I was never very rich, to begin with, so the food I get as a ninja was a step up. Zaku had it even worse, and Dosu, well, he had bigger concerns than food.

"You haven't been complaining as much."

Michiru groaned. "I guess there isn't really any point in it. And it wouldn't do any good."

"Well, that's probably good," said Kin.

Then Michiru looked up to see a port town. Kin had never been there, but it looked very prosperous. Michiru's eyes went wide. "I know this place."

Kin looked up. "You do?"

"Yes, this is where I met my wife," said Michiru, smiling faintly. "She was always so very kind. I always wondered why she left. I think I think I have an idea as to why."

"Did you gain weight?" asked Kin.

"No, that happened after she left," said Michiru. "I ate to forget. But, well, I've never really appreciated what really matters, I suppose."

"And what really matters?" asked Kin, morbidly curious.

"What really matters is people, and the beauty of the world," said Michiru.

"What?" said Kin. "No! That's not what really matters at all!"

"...Then what does?" asked Michiru, curious.

"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women," said Kin, quoting one of her favorite movies. Great line. Also true.

Michiru frowned. "That doesn't seem right."

"Hikaru, what do you think?" asked Kin, looking to the brat.

"Do you think... do you think maybe we could stop now?" gasped Hikaru.

"Not yet," said Kin. "We've got to keep going for now. We're nearly at the city, though."

"Hey, Kin, Michiru, Hikaru!" called Anko. "Hurry up will you, we've got plans to make."

"We'd better hurry up," said Kin.

They rushed up to where Dosu, Anko, and Zaku were huddled. Anko was spinning a kunai in one hand. "Alright, listen up people. We're about to reach the main port. Here we'll charter a ship and be able to head straight to the Land of the Moon.

"But we'll make camp here first."

"Why can't we just go to an inn?" asked Dosu.

Anko shrugged "It's cheaper this way."

"But surely we have plenty of money," said Michiru.

"Yes," said Anko, "and when you get back, it'll look a lot better if you still have it. Remember what happened to the caravan? It's not going to look very good."