Chapter 24

*Please read the note at the end*

Evagline's pov

I run down the halls avoiding the walls and other items that have caught fire. As I rush down the halls I somehow feel that I am out of breath, which is unnatural to a vampire with a high status. I make it to the metal door to the dungeons, I reach my hand out to the door, but I hesitate. What if she doesn't want to see me, or fire has already claimed her.

I immediately reach out and try to twist the handle at the thought of her being consumed by fire. The door is locked, I was stupid to think the door to a place that holds dangerous people would be open. I jiggle the handle with more force, but nothing happens. I take a couple steps back then run at the door with full force and the door opens. I rush down the stairs and halls. I pass by many cells on my way to the one she was locked in.

Before I reached her cell I noticed the guard that was stationed by her cell laying on the ground lifeless. I crouch down, grab his shoulders and shuck him.

" Wake up as*hole" I yell at him, but nothing happens.

" You wanna get fired for sleeping on the job" I hissed at him hoping he would get up and unlock the cell for me, but he appeared to be dead. I then began searching his body for keys, and end up finding them on his belt. I snaped the ring the keys were on and slipped it off his person.

I immediately go towards her cell to find her laying on the floor of the cell. I fumble with the keys to find the right key and shove it into the keyhole. I quickly turn the key and slam the door open causing a loud bang. I run beside my mate and collapse to my knees beside her. I cup her face in my hands.

"Hey darling, you have to wake up," I said softly so I wouldn't scare her too much, but nothing happened. she just laid there not moving.

"Hey if you don't respond there will be consequences," I said not as softly as before. I shake her shoulders trying to get her to respond.

"I'm losing patience here doll," I say impatiently, but something was off. She should be responding to my touch since she is my mate, but she's not. I sit in defeat thinking about why this is happening. My silence made me realize that I could barely hear her breathing and her heartbeat was becoming nonexisting.

"oh, sh*t," I say as pieces fall together.

I scoop her up in my arms bridal style. I had to get out of the burning building before I can help her. I carry her back up the stairs and to the front door without too much difficulty. I did have to jump over the occasional object, but it was overall pretty smooth.

As I walk out of the front door a foot pops out of nowhere. I trip over it and tumble onto the ground dropping my mate in the process. I hiss out in annoyance.

I turn to look behind me to see want I tripped over and ended up finding the man my father chose for me, my so-called fiance standing there in all his glory, looking pleased with himself. I get on my knees and stand up from my knees as he walks around me until he is in front of me.

"What the hell do you want?" I hiss out at him, but instead of responding like a normal person he pulls out a gun and aims it at me.

"Wait wait wait, I think we should settle this a different way," I said consciously knowing that he would make sure he has bullets that will make a make a mark and I don't feel like dying today.

"no I think this is a perfect way," he said with little to no emotion. he then tilted the gun down and shot both my shins. I hiss out in pain, the bullets were definitely normal. I fall onto my hands and knees from pain and shock.

" what the f*ck man, What was that for," I said in pain. "you're even more of a d*ck than you look"

"well Its a long story, but to cut it short you and your family are going to pay for your actions," he said with a wave of barely noticeable anger, and by the looks of it, he was obviously trying to suppress the emotion.

" So leave me out of my family's bullsh*t," I say getting annoyed with him and the pain in my legs.

"your whole family is going to pay" he spits at me, then points a finger in my mate's direction " Including your mate over there.

" What did you to her," I say suspiciously looking into his eyes for some sort of clue.

" only something quite Permanente," he said nonchalantly. I look behind me at my mate to find her sprawled across the ground since I tumbled to the ground. I listened and I could only hear the beat of her heart every few seconds. My eyes widen as I attempt to get to my feet to try and get to her but instead, I fall back onto the ground. My legs feeling worse than before.

I crawl on my stomach toward and he just laughs at my efforts. I hiss at him and slam my fist into the ground.

"You will regret what you have done!" I yell at him, spitting at him.

"I'm not sure I will" he responds taking me threat as a joke.

As I grow impatient with his aloofness I scream at him "I curse you! I curse you and your whole ass family! And I will curse you until my last breath for what you have done to my mate!"

I turn my head to see my mate still laying in the exact same spot. Slowly dying, humans can only survive so long and I have no idea what he did to her. Tears roll down my face at the thought of what he could do to my mate, and It made me angrier.

I then feel a burst of pain fluid through my body starting from my chest. The sound of a gunshot as I lose control of my sences, drifting into a painful darkness.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
1,089 words.

Vote and Comment!!

Sorry for the wait, but I am quite proud of how long this chapter is And I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions about this chapter/story, it would help me (and personally make me feel better) to know if you enjoyed this story or not and what I should fix/work on.

I didn't know if I wanted or felt like the story should continue past this point or not So I decided that I would like to keep what happens up to your interpretation.

and I hope you are all holding up and staying safe in these stressful and trying times.

~Love the author