5: Red Temple - Asano Takeji

Changed the book title from Water Waze to Start a Riot. Stream the Spiderverse soundtrack and Heroes Rising.
--

HE WATCHED HER walk in small circles nervously outside the nurse's office, waiting for Deku to wake up. During the day, she looked easy-going in that her body language, tone, and expressions were friendly and welcoming, but once she was out of everyone's sight she appeared tremendously stressed.

Did she care about Deku that much?

"Hey, Stupid (Y/n)!"

At the insult, (L/n) turned to the source of the sound and frowned when she saw, unexpectedly, Bakugou standing there. He was already out of his costume and his regular school uniform, just like her and the others. He walked over to her, doing that delinquent like strut reminiscent of a malicious gremlin.

"What the fuck is up with Deku and his shit Quirk?" Bakugou snarled when he was face to face with her. (L/n) took a step back, but he was quick to cancel it out by getting closer.

"I don't know. I just got here," she answered, avoiding his eyes.

"Tch!" he scoffed. "At least look at me when you talk!"

His tone made her flinch, and he froze before backing away with an obnoxious scoff.

"Whatever. What the fuck are you doing here anyway?" he glared.

(L/n) only looked at him for a second, before averting her eyes to the ground again. "I. . ."

She was pissing him off. "Answer me already!"

Her eyebrows furrowed as her face softened, and her eyes became shiny like she was about to tear up. Was she really that weak that she was going to cry just because he wanted her to answer? So pathetic.

"I. . ." She spoke up, figuring with her hands as she backed away. "I'm here to be a hero." Finally, she looked up at him and held eye contact. "That's all. Nothing more and nothing less, Bakudan."

Bakugou wanted to yell at her, like he would Deku or anyone else, but refrained. It was the only ounce of self control he had at the moment, with his rage of today's loss being transmitted verbally to just about everyone else that interacted with him.

Strangely though, right now he couldn't find the words. He wanted to be mad at her too, and he wanted to show it. He wanted her to know, see how furious I am because of you and Deku? This is your fault.

But he couldn't find the words he was scrambling to locate. So instead, his eyes wandered to the ground for a few moments, creating an awkward blanket of uncomfortable silence.

Finally, he turned around dramatically and stuffed his hands in his pockets as he began to walk.

He could almost hear (L/n)'s breathe release out of relief, until he said, "They serve food after school for an hour."

His steps echoed in the empty hallway, but he didn't hear hers follow him. Annoyed, he whipped around and growled, "That means let's go, Stupid (Y/n)."

This time, she hesitantly followed after. He noticed the reluctance in the seconds that she delayed walking, but he didn't turn around to check again.

"What about Izukyuu?" she said, in a voice quieter than when she spoke to the others.

"He's out cold, I know I did that much! It'll be hours until he wakes up again!" he barked. "And stop whispering, I can barely hear you, dammit!"

She slowed down in obvious fear, but didn't stop.

Just like before, Bakugou was tempted to turn around and just look at her. But he didn't act on his impulses this time, being cautious around her presence for some reason he couldn't figure out but couldn't refuse either. She was confusing him and he hated it. He hated her.