I hurried upstairs to my room and put all of my school supplies away before packing up everything that I would need. I sighed quietly and took a look around my room. It almost felt like this was the last time that I would be back. I desperately tried to convince myself that this wasn't the case. I had to allow all of my survival instincts to kick in. Then, I took a final glance at my surroundings and headed downstairs.

"Honey?" I turned around to see my mom. "Where are you going? It's nearly dinner time."

I took a deep breath and looked my mother in the eyes. "I just-I need to do something for the next few days, mom." Before she could argue, I spoke again. "Please, mom. I need you to trust me. I'll come back. Just give me a couple of days to sort some things out." I barely believed my own words, but I had to convince my mother, so I gave her a smile like nothing was wrong.

My mom held my gaze for the longest time before nodding wordlessly. She walked over to me and kissed my forehead. "You're a big girl now, Ari. Take care of yourself, alright?"

I felt myself tear up a little again and nodded. "I will, mom. I love you." I whispered and pulled her into a hug. After a moment, I whispered a goodbye to her and stepped out of the door.

I walked about a block away before stopping to take a breath. I wiped the residual tears from my eyes while pulling out my phone to call a taxi. Just then, a familiar car pulled up in front of me. I could have run, but I stayed frozen in place. Chase stepped out of the car. He looked like he hadn't slept in days as he stared at me. "Celine told me." That was all he said as our eyes met in a mutual understanding. I sighed and nodded to confirm his thoughts.

"Arielle, I am so sorry." He placed his hands on my forearms. "I regretted my words as soon as you ran off. Of course I recruited you to help you find your sister, but over the years, I've become to see you as family, regardless of what you say. I'm worried for your safety and especially with recent events, I have good reason to be. Please believe me when I said that I wasn't doing this for personal gain. I really want to help you find Clara, but things have gotten to this point. What if something happens to you? You won't be able to see her again even if she comes back."

I stared at him blankly. "You can't change my mind on this."

He sighed. "I know. Avery and I had a long talk last night. I care about you, but you have every right to do what you think is right, even if I disagree. When Celine told me the news today, I just had to see you before you went. I won't try to stop you."

I looked at him suspiciously for a moment before sighing. "Fine." I muttered.

He let out a breath in relief. "Thank you." He glanced at his watch. "Let me drive you there. It's getting late. I'll drop you off a few blocks away."

I glanced at my phone, realizing that he was right. I went to get in the passenger's side as Chase walked around to the driver's side. The drive over was relatively silent, which I was grateful for. When we had finally arrived, Chase pulled over a couple blocks back and turned to me. "Call me or Cel after you get out safely, yeah?"

If I got out safely.

I nodded and moved to get out. "Thanks for the ride."

"Stay safe." He said firmly as I closed the car door. I walked down the streets until I arrived at the safe house. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but Rex and Trey were already waiting for me at the front.

"Hey." I said quietly.

"Hey." Rex echoed. Trey simply nodded at me. "Ready to go, Bec?"

I nodded. I got into the car and Trey drove away in silence. I barely paid any attention to our surroundings until Trey spoke again. "Duck." I instinctively lowered my head below the window and Rex did the same.