Chapter 28

Mature content ahead

———————————————————————————

Arielle

When I came to, I was being dragged down a long hallway. I groaned in pain as I had a massive headache from the blow to the head. "Shut up!" A gruff voice hissed at me in a heavy French accent.

"Don't bother talking to her." Another voice muttered. "Mademoiselle said to just take the intruder to her office."

"Why not just call-"

"Because he's out dealing with important business. We don't disturb him unless Mademoiselle deems it necessary!" The tone of the second man's voice left no room for argument.

I stayed silent as we approached a door at the end of the hallway. The first man dropped my arm and knocked. "Mademoiselle, we have the intruder!"

"Bring them in." A feminine voice answered softly. I frowned in confusion. The first man pushed open the door and grabbed my arm again. Together, they forced me to stumble forwards. I was soon released again and thrown to the ground. It was then that I realized I wasn't in an office, but a bedroom. I lowered my head and gazed at the floor where I was currently sprawled. "Merci. Francis and Marcel, you may leave now."

The first man sputtered. "Mademoiselle! You can't possibly want us to leave the intruder alone with you. You mustn't be fooled by her small size. She may be a girl, but she is an intruder no less."

The woman laughed coldly. "Interesting how you assume I would underestimate a woman's abilities, being one myself." She spoke again. Something about her voice made me shiver. While she spoke softly, I could sense the dangerous undertone.

"N-not at all, Mademoiselle! That's not-" The first man rapidly backtracked.

"Do you ever think before you speak?" The second man sneered at him before turning to the woman in front of me. "We'll be outside if you need us then, Mademoiselle." They turned to exit the room. As soon as they closed the door, I saw a pair of heels approaching me on the floor. I closed my eyes momentarily and prepared myself for the worst.

"Stand up!" I trembled and slowly got to my feet, still avoiding the woman's gaze. Moments later she was directly in front of me, grabbing my chin with her hand and yanking it up. I heard her sharp intake of breath and opened my eyes slowly. "Arielle Reagan..."

My jaw dropped at the blonde in front of me. "Is-Isabelle." I had likely hit my head too hard so I didn't recognize her voice right away, but now I was too stunned to speak.

Her expression immediately turned to one of disgust and I felt my heart shattering once again since our conversation this afternoon. It was ironic that months ago, I wouldn't have cared less of what anyone else thought of me. Isabelle had never looked at me like this - with anger, yes, but never disgust. "Are you aware of whose estate you just broke into?" She asked, the tone of her voice dangerously low.

"Dominic Versailles is your father..." I whispered both in disbelief and defeat.

She narrowed her eyes at me. "So you're just plain stupid then." I winced at her harsh tone. "Why did you come here? Who sent you here?" I remained silent, partially from fear, but mainly due to the shock and hurt that I was feeling,

Suddenly, she reached forward, grabbed a fistful of my hair, and yanked hard. I stumbled forwards, gasping in pain and surprise. "Why. Did. You. Come. Here."

Get yourself together, Arielle! Whatever the two of you had is obviously over. She's the enemy so use your common sense and survival tactics!

I bit my lip and remained silent, ignoring the logical part of my brain. Tristan would be furious that I had been caught. If I ended up spilling any details, I would be dead, no doubt about it. On the other hand, I didn't think that Isabelle would actually kill me, but the thought of her hating me hurt more than I realized.