Chapter 17

This book literally went from 2k reads to 4K in 2 weeks omg guys😂. I love y'all!

———————————————————————————

Arielle

I felt something or someone nudge my side gently in my sleep and whined softly in response. I tried to squirm away and get comfortable again. It wasn't too difficult to find a comfortable position because my pillow was quite soft...too soft to be my pillow. I heard a quiet giggle.

My eyes shot open wide and I immediately tried to jump away when I noticed that I had somehow ended up falling asleep with my head in Isabelle's lap and my arms were wrapped around her waist. She immediately reached out and grabbed me to stop me from falling off of the couch. "Hey there, sleepyhead."

"H-Hey." I whispered shyly as she started to stroke my hair.

"Comfy?" She smirked and I blushed. "You fell asleep right at the good part, but it was entirely too cute, so I decided not to wake you."

By this point, I was pretty sure that I had blushed so much around Isabelle that my cheeks were just permanently stained pink. "So the movie just ended?"

"Mhm. Time for bed." Before I could protest, I was lifted up again. To be honest, I didn't really mind, as it totally made me feel like a princess. Of course I was also nervous and scared: nervous because I had never been in a relationship before, and she was ten years older than me and my professor, and scared because in less than a month, I had allowed her to get closer to me than anyone else had in ten years. To be fair, she was so persistent that she practically forced me into giving her a chance, but I wasn't complaining in any way.

She lifted me up the staircase and walked into her bedroom before placing me on the bed. "You can take a bath and sleep here. I'll go to the guest bedroom."

I immediately began to protest. "I don't mind taking the guest room. I really don't want to kick you out of your own room."

"The master bedroom has a connecting bathroom." She explained. "The guest room doesn't, and I figured that it would be more convenient with your injury."

"I still wouldn't want to kick you out of your own room," I said softly. "I can just hop to the bathroom if I need it."

"No," she replied firmly. "I will not have you possibly falling and injuring your other foot too. You're staying here." She paused and sent me a smirk. "If you feel so strongly about this, then we could share a room."

I froze, unsure if she was serious or not. I felt her hand on my cheek. "Hey, hey, I'm not pressuring you to do anything. We'll do this however you want, alright?" I nodded silently in response. She helped me run a bath and made sure I got to the bathroom without falling before leaving.

Once I was finished, I noticed that she had laid out a spare set of pajamas for me on the bed. It was a simple tank top with cotton bottoms. Once I had changed, I heard a knock on the door. "Come in." I called and Isabelle stepped in and sat down on the bed, tentatively wrapping an arm around me. After a moment, I lightly laid my head on her shoulder. She glanced at me in surprise before smiling.

"I guess we say goodnight now?" She kissed my cheek this time. I nodded and hugged her, and she stood up to switch off the lights before leaving the room. I adjusted myself into a comfortable position on the bed and stared into the dark for awhile. I felt not only happier, but lighter. This was something that I hadn't felt in such a long time.

I sighed sadly. Despite agreeing to give us a chance, I knew that I could never fully open up to Isabelle, at least not until all of this was over. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't allow my selfish wants to endanger the both of us. Despite knowing this, I still felt the comfort that being close to her brought. As I stared into the darkness, I felt my eyes beginning to close and soon, I was out like a light.