Chapter 36

I sat there, rereading the message. I didn’t know if I should respond or not, what did I want to do? No, what did I need to do? I couldn’t stay here, but I couldn’t leave either. Shit. I didn’t want to leave Cam, he didn’t deserve it. But I needed to get out. I knew if I ever stayed, I would have to talk to one of them eventually, and I couldn’t. I set down my phone and kept my spot on the seat.

        I wasn’t backing out, I wasn’t going to risk my guaranteed usual happiness for a chance at better happiness. It wasn’t worth it, after all I had been through. It wasn’t me pitying myself, it was me looking out for myself.

        Finally, it was 9:00 and we were about to board. There were only about 25 other people waiting for the flight with me, ‘cause who would want to go to Kansas City in the middle of July? Not very many people. I looked around, wondering if anyone here was leaving for a similar reason. They all seemed fairly unhappy, which actually made me feel better, like I was a part of something.

         A fellow person with a broken heart, flying away from my problems. I shook my head softly, and got up, as the other passengers were climbing aboard. I grabbed my bag, and stood at the back of the line, which was slowly filing onto the ramp, and out to the plane. I tapped my foot patiently, and enjoyed the peaceful silence. Then I heard screaming, someone screaming something, who was running down the hallway towards our ramp. I looked up and saw it was a guy, and instantly looked away.

        “Mykenna! Mykenna! Stop!” Cam shouted as he ran down the large hallway. He finally reached me, but I was already at the front of the line. I wasn’t going to let him change my mind now. He grabbed my arm and roughly pulled me to the side of the ramp.

        “She’s not going on the flight today, family emergency. Go ahead and close it all up.” Cam confidently smiled and nodded at the middle aged woman who was about to take my ticket. I was about to open my mouth, when he put his hand over my mouth and pulled me away. I was pissed, how could he stop me? It was my life, I was allowed to do as I please.

        “You have to come home. I don’t know what happened, but I know it has to do with Shawn. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO YOUR EYE? WAS IT SHAWN? I’LL FUCKING KILL HIM!!” His hands raced to my eye, inspecting me. I wanted to quiet him down, but I knew it wasn’t going to work. I simply nodded my head, and broke away from him.

        “No matter who it was, I’m going to kill them. No one hurts my Mykenna, that’s a law.” I shook my head, walking back the way he came. I knew I had to go back now, as I obviously couldn’t leave. My heart felt like it was breaking slowly, but deeply. I was almost out, and nowI’m stuck her for who knows how long.

         We were in his apartment, I was sitting on the floor of the living area, running my hand through my hair. He came out his room and sat on the floor next to me, and reached his hand out in front of me. I raised my eyebrow, and he let out a small sigh before reaching underneath my leg to grab my hand.

        “Can we please just talk about all this?” Cam took my hand and kissed it before letting our hands drop in his lap. “I mean, I’ll talk, and you fill in the blanks?” He said gently. I nodded.

        “Okay, so obviously it’s about Shawn, but… wait, who hurt you? And why?” I sighed, and rose to my feet, walking to my room. “I’m sorry come back, we don’t have to talk!” He yelled after me. I rushed into my room and found the notebook I kept under my bed, and grabbed a pen. I came back out and sat on the floor next to Cam. I held up a finger, and started writing.

        I wrote down everything that had happened, since I first saw them on the beach. I told him about the fight, about the feeling up that occurred in the water, everything. I handed it to him and he read it quickly.

        “No way. Real? Taylor, what a little prick. It’s good that Shawn kicked his ass though. Wait, I’m confused, why would he have his hands all over you like that if he was done with you, and has been for a long while? It makes no sense.” He scratched his chin thoughtfully and I saw something in his eyes flicker.

        “I need to go talk to him. Right now.” He got up, and I realized he meant Shawn. No, that would not happen. I ran after him, and jumped on his back, hoping to slow him down. Of course, it didn’t.

        “Oh, cmon. You gotta try harder than that.” I dug my nails into the back of his neck, and screamed out in pain. “God damn you and your damn nails!” He dropped my lightly on the couch, and sat down next to me. I shrugged. He patted my knee and relaxed into the couch. I moved to sit closer to him, and decided to just lay my head in his lap.

        I was never one to be so touchy, but I knew he would make me feel better. I felt him gently take pieces of my hair and twist it around his fingers, one of his many things he did out of habit.

        “I think, the world has set you up for some real shit, to see how you take it. And right now, you are taking so much of it. I’ve never known anyone to be treated so terrible and still forgive someone. It’s amazing. You’re so strong, and I think you need to realize how incredible you actually are, because you have been through so much. So much. It physically hurts me to see you hurt, but I’ll never know how you can live through it.” Cam finished, his voice barely a whisper. He had it all wrong. I couldn’t take it. I was slowing slipping, more each day. It’s amazing how much you think you know about someone, until you look inside.