Chapter 66

Two days later, I was asleep on the floor next to Shawn's bed when Cameron shook me awake. He was rushing, trying to get me up as quick as possible.

"Mykenna, you need to wake up right now." His voice was quiet, but urgent. My eyes sprung open, expecting to see nurses flocking around Shawn. I stood up quickly, to see him motionless as usual. I sighed, and looked to Cameron. He was pointing out the door, where I saw a small group of people huddled. "Some people are here to talk to you. About Shawn." He lightly smoothed down my hair while I straightened my sweater neatly. I knew it had to be the press, anxious to know about him.

When I appeared from the room, they all looked at me happily. I tried to smile, tried to put on a brave face. I couldn't imagine what his fans were wondering at this point. They did deserve to know what was going on. Cameron ushered them away from Shawn's room, where he slipped back into to keep a eye on him. I led the group of four reporters to the waiting room. I really wished I didn't have to be the one to talk to them. I didn't want to explain anything going on. But everyone knew we had gotten back together, and of course they would want the facts from me. I know that if I was still one of his fans at home, I would be destroyed right now. Desperate for answers. They at least deserved that. Maybe the extra prayers would give him the strength he needed right now.

Matthew ran to my side from a chair nearby, and squeezed my hand gently. "You don't have to talk. Write everything down and I'll tell them. If you'd like. I noticed you hadn't said a word since, since it all happened." He said. I nearly bust into tears, instantly realizing I was falling back into my habit of being mute. I knew this would last a much longer time. I nodded to him and grabbed a pad of paper and a pen on the nurses' desk nearby. I sat down against the wall, trying to fathom my thoughts into something that I could tell the world right now.

"She thinks it would be better if she writes it all down and I tell you. Please respect the fact that she doesn't want to speak, but will tell what is happening. Thank you, wait here." Matthew said slowly, trying to usher them onto a set of couches about twenty feet away. They seemed confused, but satisfied that they were going to get an answer to this mess. I began writing, trying to fit in the details that I knew he would want his fans to know. I kept other things out. I was picky in my wording, trying to imagine what his family would want me to say. I handed the paper to Matthew, he read it, and nodded quickly. He brought the reporters back over, and let them set up a camera in front of us.

"I would like to say, that we really do appreciate this, from both of you. We didn't mean to barge in here. This is a hot topic right now, and honestly I'm here out of actual concern for Shawn. My daughter loves his music." A reporter said, a lady dressed in a t-shirt and jeans. She seemed to be the leader of the group. I faintly smiled, my eyes glued on the hard floor.

"Alright, when you're ready, just say who you are, who she is, and what you're going to talk about." She smiled before stepping back behind the camera. I gave Matthew a short nod before looking into the camera. He flipped his hair out of his eyes and cleared his throat, obviously nervous and already emotional.

"Hi everyone, I'm Matthew Espinosa. This is Mykenna Elburn. You may know that Shawn Mendes, our close friend, has recently been involved in an accident. We're sure you're very worried, so we would like to let you know what is going on." He let a few tears slip down his face quietly before grabbing the paper and holding it in his lap.

"Shawn was hit in an automobile accident, here in downtown Kansas City. He was rushed here to the hospital, where they were able to revive him. He has various injuries, covering various areas of his body. He is currently in a critical state, but there is hope for a recovery. The doctors and nurses are doing everything they can to ensure that Shawn walks out of here. It is unknown when that might be, but please keep him and his family in your prayers. Thank you."

Matthew finished, and nodded to the reporters before standing up and grabbing my hand. He was shaking slightly, obviously recovering from what just happened. I wanted to tell the media how serious his condition was, but thought better not to. I didn't want to raise any more alarm than there already was.

The reporter walked over to us saying, "I'm so sorry. It was unknown to us that it was so serious. Please tell him we are all thinking of him. Thank you for telling us. It was very brave. I'm so sorry." I noticed her eyes were wet. She was crying. A person who didn't even know Shawn personally, was crying after hearing his story. I was appalled, but I shook her hand before dashing down the hallway back to Shawn.

He would laugh at me right now if he was awake, he would tell me it was silly of me not to talk on t.v., he would have told me it was my chance for fame. I would have laughed and hit his shoulder, daring to think what it must be like to be followed by cameras. Then we would laugh together.