Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

Akira knew that sound. He hated it. Pushing himself up from his tummy, he grabbed the remote and turned his cartoons up louder.

"Waaaaah! Waaaaaah! Waaaaaah!"

"Akira! Turn that down please!"

The little boy groaned and did as he was told, throwing the remote in a small fit of anger. He got on his feet and went over to the next room to see what was going on.

Maruki was carrying Ren in his arms, holding the boy's head to his chest and quietly shushing him as he bounced him lightly. Ren's crying only toned down a little.

"Shhh... it's ok, it's ok. Was someone having a bad dream? Yeah?" Maruki sat down with Ren, using one had to grab a pacifier sitting close by and putting it in the little boy's mouth. "It's ok, you're fine now, honey,"

"Maru-senpai tell him stop crying!" Akira said, arms folded.

"Akira, that's not nice. Ren doesn't tell you to stop crying."

"He can't talk!"

Ren had calmed at this point, his pacifier successful in soothing him. He started flapping his little hands and squealing, trying to get Maruki's attention again. It worked, and the older man smiled at the boy before holding him up high.

   "He can talk, he just doesn't have anything to say yet. Isn't that right, cutie?"

   "Eeee!" Ren squealed and reached out to touch Maruki's hair. He liked the way it felt.

   Akira huffed and folded his arms tighter. He didn't like when dumb Maruki talked to Ren like that. He wasn't a baby, his was five years old already! He walks and plays on his own, he doesn't have that stupid tube thing in his nose anymore, why did Maruki have to make it such a big deal?

   "You know what? It's a nice day outside. How about we go for a walk?"

   A walk? That was perfect! Akira loved the trail they always went down, where all the tall grass was. That was were the shrews, birds, and lizards hid.

   "Ok! Outside is ok!"

   The lady passed by the door just then—what was her name, Oso? She grinned upon seeing them.

   "Going out?" she said. "How's my favorite patient been doing this morning?"

   "Just woke up from his nap."

   Maruki stood up so the lady could see Ren. He giggled and squealed happily when she poked his cheek and cooed at him. Akira frowned when she touched his brother. He didn't like her.

   "Such a big, pretty smile! He's like a cute little dolly~"

   "Ren is not a dolly!" Akira snapped. "He's a boy, so don't call him dolly!"

   "Akira, be polite! Usagi, I'm sorry about him," Maruki sighed.

   "Oh, it's alright! I bet he's just jealous that his cute brother gets so much attention~"