Chapter 5

The rest of the day went by fast and what Erastus said kept crossing my mind but I chose to ignore it because I don't think it is true. Driving home, I felt like the distance have doubled and I couldn't wait to get home and rest. When I got there I found Laura's notes in the living room stating that she went to a friend's house. I went to the kitchen, took something to drink and went to my room. We don't cook dinner on Tuesdays, we order so I just have to wait for everyone to get home and ask what they feel like having.

I lay down on my bed and just when I was about to sleep, my phone rang. My other friend Katie called to tell me she was back in the country. Katie went to meet her boyfriend, who is now her fiance's family in Russia and she has been there for a month now. She promised to come visit soon and hung up. I didn't even know how I fell asleep, next thing I know Laura is waking me up. When I looked at the time, it was 9.00pm so I immediately got out of bed. "I woke you up to tell you the food is here. You were sound asleep when I got home and I didn't want to wake you up." Laura said. I didn't even know she can be considerate at times, just when she feels like it I guess. "Plus I used your credit card because dad is not home yet so do come down." she said and headed out. Sometimes I really wish I could get to her but she hates me deep I guess so I also just stay in my lane and speak when necessary. I put on my sleepers and headed down the stairs. I sat opposite to her and took one slice of pizza, which was soo good that I had to take a second one and a third one and a forth one maybe, I was not really counting.

Evan wasn't yet home which was worrying because he always called or texted when he was working late or when he was watching a football at Nathan's house. Nathan is his best friend and he was the best man at our wedding. I tried calling him a few times but he didn't answer so I went to bed. I was reading a book and I fell asleep without knowing it. I woke up with the book next to me on the bed.
Evan didn't sleep at home and I still didn't hear from him. I went to the kitchen to make breakfast and when I was done with all the cooking it is when I heard his car pull up in our driveway. I stood by the staircase waiting for him to enter.

He came into the house holding his jacket in one hand keys in the other. He was fine and alive, which was the only thing that matter at this moment.
He came closer and he smelled like alcohol. "I am so sorry. I went to Nathan's place last night to watch a game with the guys and we had a couple of beers, maybe too many beers so I was too drunk to drive." He said before I could ask. "You could have at least told me instead of making me worry for nothing. Or Annie could have called me to tell me you were spending the night." I said. Annie is Nathan's wife and a friend. She always lets me know when Evan was spending the night at their house but this time she didn't.

I went to shower and he did the same I guess. I left for work still wondering if what he told was the complete truth. I am not the type that jumps to conclusions but I just had a feeling there was something he wasn't telling me. I decided to trust him and not press the truth out of him and we went on with our lives. A week went by, with him only sleeping at home once in a while and the rest I get explanations in the mornings when he comes home. I seriously got fed up with all the weird stories he would tell me in the form of explanation every morning to that extent that I don't wait around to listen to what he has to say. I needed to talk to someone about this but none of my friends are normal enough to understand where I am coming from. Katie is planning her wedding so that is the only thing she thinks about day in day out. I don't blame her though, I have been there. Erastus on the other hand is the type that will tell you what you don't want to hear. Whether it's true or not it just flies out of his mouth and it always make you feel worse so it's a big no to the both of them.

I decided to call my big sister instead she wasn't that much of help. I think my sister watched too many movies in her life that even the advice she gives is just something that doesn't happen in real life. She told me to talk to him about it, like confront him so he tells me the truth. I wanted to follow her advice but if he has been lying about his whereabouts this whole time then there was nothing stopping him from lying to my face again. So I decided to just pretend like nothing was going on and focused on work.

The company is launching new products at the end of the month and my head needs to be in the game. Being a Managing director is challenging, but as the first woman to hold this position in the history of KG Corporations I have to hold it with poise and I have to deliver and deliver. In a company that higher positions are all occupied by men, every day is battlefield. I have to prove myself now and then and I make sure not to give an opportunity to throw a sexist opinion my way. Last time that happened I snapped and ended up clashing with the acting CEO forgetting that he the one that pays my salary. Yes, I can be dump at times and I don't always watch what I say or who I say it. I got a warning afterwards and since then I make sure I don't stay in the same room as that man more than I am supposed to because I really have issues with sexist men.

I have been working late for the past few days because everything has to be in place for the launch. Whenever I get home I find Laura all alone. She cannot cook so she orders her dinner and work on her homework. Turns out she can eat even her father is not around. Not that I am being mean and but she is such a drama queen and I don't have time to entertain her. I have enough going on so I say hi, fix myself something to eat if I didn't grab something on my way home, say good night and go to sleep. The following day it repeats itself and the day after. I know to her I will always be the mean stepmother so I stopped trying to make her realize otherwise.