rubatosis & the carnival

surprise! an update !!
unedited

rubatosis:
the unsettling awareness of your own heartbeat.

whenever youre around him your heart seems to beat at an incredible pace, or completely stop for a second. the way he looks at you knocks the breath you were beginning to take out of your lungs and makes you rethink what you were trying to say.

finn wolfhard sits next to you in biology, your worst class, his best class. you felt so stupid sitting next to him but once he turned and smiled at you, your worries went away.

you have a crush on him, as silly and stupid as it sounds, its true. and of course, like every romance novel, he doesnt like you back. ah, unrequited love.

all your friends would say otherwise, but thats just to make you feel better. hell, youve known him for years and he probably thinks of you as a sister.

"y/n!" finn whispers during the class.

you smile slightly and turn your head, "yes finn?"

"we should hangout sometime!"

"w-what?" you spit out.

"we should hangout sometime!" he says back in a mocking slow tone.

"um, okay!" you say, your face and neck tinting a very bright red, your heart speeds up.

"how about saturday? we can go to the carnival down the street from my house," the curly haired boy says with a slight smile.

"that works!" you say, smiling again, not breaking eye contact.

finn turns back to the teacher, you do too. "cool. its a date."

you turn to him, with your jaw dropped open, you see a smirk growing on his stupid lips but he doesnt turn to look at you. what a meanie. "i guess it is." you say and turn around, a wide smile consuming your features.

saturday rolls around a lot quicker than expected. you throw on your favorite outfit and eat dinner before you go. you get a text from finn, saying he pulled up at your house. you say bye to your parents and quickly head to the door. finn waves, giving you a goofy smile as you sit in the passenger seat.

"how are you on this fine evening?" he asks in a silly tone.

"id be doing much better if we started driving to the carnival!" you say, you and finn both laugh. finn turns on Spendtime Palace and drives off.

you arrive at the carnival, and get wristbands. the first thing you drag him onto is a roller coaster, when you get on you honestly cant help it when you grab his hand- the ride was terrifying. finn didnt complain.

the next ride was the pirate ship, and this time he grabbed your hand first. it made you smile, and your heart beat quicken.

you guys buy slurpees and cotton candy towards the end of the night. the sun has set and all the bright lights are turned on, it creates a pretty vibe.

finn brings you onto the ferris wheel. rolling your eyes at how cliche it is, you climb on. you two sit on opposite sides of the cart, and you both look out over at the carnival. "it's beautiful."

"i was going to say 'no you're beautiful' but i figured youd punch me," finn replies, making you laugh. he isnt wrong.

the cart stops at the top- cliche i know- and you both admire the view. its a comfortable silence, and you enjoy it. sometimes just being with someone you care deeply about is wonderful enough.

finn turns to you, and you see it out of the corner of your eye. pretending you didnt see him, you now slowly turn to face him. you smile, and realize you can feel your heartbeat- it's surprising he cant hear it.

you were about to ask why he was staring at you until he kissed you. you didnt even have time to react or kiss back by the time he pulled away. he searches your eyes for any signs of messing everything up, as you lean in to kiss him back.

finn gently grabs your cheek, as you pull him closer by wrapping your arms around his neck, slightly taking some of his curls in between your fingers.

you both slowly pull away, and smile at eachother as the ride slowly starts to go back down.

you grab the curly haired boys hand and bring him back to his car, you kiss his cheek and then get in the passengers seat, the smile never leaving your face. he grabs your hand and drives you home with the other.

you arrive back to your house. "thank you, for tonight. you dont know how happy it made me." you sincerely say to him.

instead of responding he gently kisses you once more, and you smile. "see you on monday," he says with a big smile.

"see you on monday," you quietly say, and head into your house.

the smile stuck on your face for a couple more days. especially whenever you and finn facetimed, saw eachother in biology or when you sent eachother stupid memes to try and make the other smile.

lets just say you were quickly falling for this boy, and he was definitely falling for you too.

my writing skills say byebye during this chapter LMAO