Traitors and Feasts [Part Two]

As the evening wore on and the wine and ale flowed, the talk grew freer. Toast after toast was drunk to good King Richard, but Guy heard nothing but curses from his table companions for Prince John. Each guest, it had seemed, had his or her own story to tell of the greed of his tax-gatherers. And then there was the cruelty of his forest wardens, who would think nothing of having a man hanged for no more than taking meat from the carcass of one of the Prince's deer. When one's family was starving, it was a risk many men were willing to take.

Guy had heard enough by the end of the evening to convince himself that Robert was no loyal servant of the Prince, but he still had no firm evidence that he was in league with Robin Hood. He was beginning to think he would have to go back to the Sheriff empty-handed. But then, as he rose to leave, one of the servants caught Guy's eye, jerking his head as if to indicate that he should follow him out of the Hall. It was the man who had spoken to the soldiers earlier that day - Wurman.

Quickly looking around to make sure no one was watching him, Guy followed Wurman down an empty passageway. Then, the two of them turned up a spiral staircase that took them to the living quarters and down another long passageway.

At the end of it. Wurman stopped outside a thick oak door. He pushed it back, and glanced briefly inside the room, then he stepped back outside. "Take a look inside there," he muttered under his breath.

Guy pushed open the door and saw a small figure, lying huddled on a pallet of straw in a corner of the chamber. It was Dickon, worn out with weeping for his dead father. Silently, Guy closed the door begin him.

As they made their way down the stairs, Wurman told Guy exactly who the boy was and what had happened in the woods that morning. Guy shrugged unconvinced. "It's strange that the boy was brought here," he said. "But it's hardly proof of treason."

Wurman leaned toward him urgently. "But I was there when he arrived," he whispered, "and I heard what the man who brought him in had to say. He said he'd got a new recruit ~ a recruit for Hood's band."

______________________

Back in Nottingham, the Sheriff needed no further proof. In his own mind he'd already decided to move against Robert, and Dickon's presence at the Hall and the remark Wurman claimed to have overheard were evidence enough for him. He and Guy decided then and there on the action to be taken.

__________________

Thank you for reading my story, don't forget to vote and comment! I really do enjoy the comments.

Also, to all my American friends and readers, Happy thanksgiving! 

Matt