Coming Home (Part 1)

Bắt đầu từ đầu

     I sniffle and nod. "Of course, it is! But is this what you want?"

     He blinks, taken aback by my question. "You know I'm not comfortable with any parental figure..." he glances toward the bed and lowers his voice, "but I'm willing to put that aside for you. I am willing to put up with your family. Maybe it's different now. Maybe they're not like my f...f...fa..."

     His pupils contract and his mouth stills. His hands clench on mine, and he draws in a little gasp. His father must have been bad to make him react like this. I pry my hand out of his grasp and tentatively reach up to his face. I tuck a stray bit of hair back and caress his cheek. He leans into my touch and closes his eyes, breathing deeply. He puts a hand over my hand and I resist the urge to pull away, fighting the trapped animal instinct.

     "Thank you," he murmurs. His eyes flutter open, and I want to smile, but I can't.

     "I didn't mean the parent thing..." My lower lip trembles. "I meant me. Are you sure you want me?"

     I look away, eyes landing on Charlie and the rest of my family. They watch us expectantly, probably not sure what to make of the scene. Will follows my gaze and glance behind him for a moment. Seeing all of their eyes on us, he clears his throat and stands.

     "We can talk about this later, Dawn. But for now," he turns to everyone else, "you all need to start packing."

     Charlie bolts to his feet. "You mean...?!"

     Will's eyes sparkle. "I do mean!" He takes Charlie by the shoulders and shakes him gently. "You're all coming to the factory with me! Someone's changed my mind, and I've decided to let you all stay at my factory. Can't have my new business partner too far off, now can I?"

     "You mean...?!" Charlie exclaims loudly. He jumps up and down waving his arms.

     Will begins to jump with him. "I do mean!"

     "When can we leave?!" Charlie asks.

     "Is now too soon?" Will responds. Charlie shakes his head fervently. Mum begins to get out old suitcases and stuff them with our belongings. I shudder and wrap my free arm around the injured side of my body as I watch them silently.

     Charlie takes a suitcase hyperactively and helps Mum put clothes into it. The grandparents are completely awake now and laughing along in the festivities. Will comes over to me while Charlie runs around gathering his few belongings.

     "Let me help you, Starshine. Where're your things?" he asks, half-ripped and dirty tote bag in his hand. I look up at him with unblinking eyes, mind still stuck on his refusal to answer if he actually wants me. I look down slowly at the bag with my clothes from the hospital, then look up again. Realization crosses his face. "Well, not to worry. We'll fix that little problem when we get to the factory. I can make you almost anything you want. All you have to do is ask."

     I nod and pull the bag up into my lap. Mum does a sweep around the miniature house to make sure that she got everything, then looks at the bed and stops. "How are we going to get these four and their bed to the factory?"

     "I'm sure they'll fit in the elevator," Will assures her. He bends down to Charlie. "Why don't you start taking things out?"

     "Alright!" Charlie shouts, dazzling smile on his face. He picks up two smaller bags and carries them out of the house and to the elevator. Will goes to my mother and speaks quietly with her before motioning to the bed. Were they actually talking about moving the bed? Or was he explaining why her daughter would have to stay behind because he just didn't care enough about her? Were they devising a plan to make me stay back? It wouldn't be hard, just dump me out of this chair and I'm incapacitated.