Chapter Twenty (Pt. 2)

"During my birthday ball, I spent the majority of my time in the company of a man named Ethan. He had very bold beliefs and asked me many times if I ever wanted to leave the life of a princess behind or wanted a change. Then, he told me that in order to fix all of the kingdom's problems, I needed to get rid of the council. He was making me uncomfortable, so I ordered him out of the castle and went to the gardens. I took Porkpie out for a ride to clear my head, but he got spooked and bucked me off.

"I was stranded in the middle of the woods and heard a strange sound. A man came up behind me and after a little resisting from me, he tied my hands behind my back. We went deeper into the woods and the man ended up saying something stupid, so I shoved him. He pulled me to the ground with him, which would have been fine except for the fact that I had a dagger strapped to my thigh."

My father's eyes hardened.

I swallowed and kept going. "He helped me out, wrapped my wound, and revealed himself as Percy. I continued to go with him because he assured me he wouldn't hurt me, he just needed me to talk with someone. We got on his horse and went to his house, where he rewrapped my wound and put me to bed. The next morning, we went to another town and he brought me to the Insurgent's base. I got more medical attention before being brought to the lead Insurgent, Kronos.

"He told me of the Insurgent's history - how they started once Zeus became king, killed him and my mother, and why they did so. They have the belief that for the past two generations, Olympus has been ruled improperly, and they think that is because of the council. Kronos requested my assistance in planning the assassination of you, Helen, and the members of the council. I refused and Percy took me to his quarters.

"There, he explained that he was in fact an Insurgent, but was actively trying to start a revolution. Percy wanted me to inspire hope in the revolters - who are people who believe the kingdom needs a change but want to do so peacefully - and help them get out. I agreed and spent a week getting to know the revolters, who are all pretty amazing people.

"Friday, all the children and a few women left the base. Percy ushered them to his village and made sure they were safe. Yesterday, after breakfast, the remaining people were escaping the base when a general came out and started fighting with Percy. More Insurgents came out and started fighting with the revolters. I did my best to defend all the unarmed innocents and no casualties occurred.

"Just when the fight was almost over and Percy and I were the last of the revolters in the room, Kronos came out with more Insurgents. As Percy explained to him what the revolters believed and why he should let us go, Ethan, the boy from the ball, charged toward him with a poisoned knife. I took the blade because Percy was in harm's way and wouldn't notice in time to dodge, and the two of us escaped. He took a pitstop at his village to make sure all of the revolters were safe and then brought me directly here."

My father nodded. "So what you're trying to tell me is that Percy is a good man and you want me to let him free."

I bit my lip, blushing. "Well, yes, of course, but there is more than that. I want you to remove each council member from office and become a better ruler. I want peace throughout the kingdom. No more slavery, no more inequality, no more pointless raids of villages."

"You surely understand that I alone do not have the power to abolish the council," he said to me.

I nodded. "Yes, but you are the king: with the most authority and power in all of Olympus. You can figure something out, no?"

He sighed. "What do you suggest?"

I was speechless. Never in my eighteen years of living had my father ever asked my opinion. "What do I suggest?" I retorted, shocked.

My father smiled coyly. "Yes, Annabeth, you. I know you have your mother's genes in you; you're quite the strategist at heart."

My cheeks flushed red. "I would suggest you call a meeting with the council, explain your people's beliefs - that the council is restricting your power in an overbearing way - and say that you are removing them from office. Take no negotiations and do not leave until each of them has resigned."

He nodded. "That is what I shall do, but on one agreement."

"Anything," I agreed.

"You still need a suitor, Annabeth. You're going to be coronated in two years and we need to start planning the wedding. You are not off the hook just because of this unexpected interruption. The amendment made by the kings and queens of the world still stands."

My face paled. Throughout my busy week, I had forgotten all about my mission to get a suitor, the man I would marry. There was only one person I could think of spending the rest of my life with, and - thanks to my mother's amendment allowing royalty to marry anyone they wish - I could.

"I already have Father," I told him.

He cocked his head. "Really? Who?"

I smiled. "His name is Percy Jackson."