Chapter Twelve

Kronos' golden eyes stared into my grey ones. Although I was nervous, I did not back down and continued making eye contact as he explained. "You say you will be coronated in two years. The old policy was that the prince or princess of each kingdom would have to be coronated before their twenty-fifth birthday. It was recently amended so that the prince or princess would be coronated on their twentieth birthday. Do you know who made that amendment?"

"The kings and queens of each kingdom," I answered.

"Technically, yes," the man told me, "but the two with the most authority are your parents, King Frederick and Queen Helen, and they are highly influenced by the Olympian council. Therefore, the council made the amendment, as well as hundreds of others. The council is a group of greedy, good for nothing power seekers that will do whatever it takes to get ahead."

Without thinking, I interrupted, "Are you sure you aren't talking of yourself?"

Kronos chuckled darkly and sat forward in his seat. "You hold no power while the council is still pulling all the strings, little Princess. I suggest that you do something about that, and quickly."

I nodded. "I understand. In two years, when I get coronated, I will remove each member from office."

The man exploded out of his seat and banged his fists against the desk. "I am sick and tired of playing the waiting game!" he exclaimed. "You do not understand. In two years, the council will have already brainwashed you into keeping them in office. You hold absolutely zero power while the council still reigns!"

I scooted back in my chair. "So what do you think I should do?" I asked, my voice quaint but strong.

"If we cannot get rid of the council diplomatically, the only other option is to remove them forcefully. We will arrange an attack on each member and by the end of the day, all of them will be dead. The king and queen will be shocked and frightened, as will the entire country. We will take that as our opportunity to strike and take out King Frederick and Queen Helen, as well as anyone who dares get in our way. I will become the king of Olympus and you will be my queen."

I scrunched up my nose. "What makes you think I will agree to this plan? Why would I let you kill my father and stepmother and rule the kingdom? And why on earth would I want to co-rule with you?"

Kronos clasped his hands behind his back and walked slowly around the table until he was standing right in front of me. He bent down and whispered harshly, "Because you have no choice. Either agree to my terms or die."

"What are your terms?" I questioned.

He stood straight. "Give me the location to each safe room in the palace, as well as your father's office, give me your word that this discussion will not leave this room, and give me your hand in marriage."

I winced. For the second time in a mere twenty-four hours, I had been confronted by the idea of finding a marriage mate. Surprisingly, I would much rather be back at the castle and sitting at the table with my family than in front of the revenge hungry man I was with.

When I felt a hand on my shoulder tighten, I looked up at Percy. He was staring straight ahead, not looking at me or Kronos. I wondered if Percy was in on the plan, or if he was simply the captor. How high was he ranked? Did he truly believe in the cause the Insurgents were fighting for?

Did I believe in the cause the Insurgents were fighting for? If you had asked me that a few hours prior, I would have given you an outright "No" and a trip to the infirmary. Now, though, things had changed, including my outlook on the kingdom. People were struggling to survive, and it was all because of the king and queen's shoddy way of ruling and the council's misleading guidance. Perhaps with a new king and queen and no council, things could finally change for the better.

Percy felt my gaze and looked down at me. The tiniest smile graced his plump pink lips and he shot me a wink. Clearly, this mischievous boy had a plan.

"How long do I have to choose?" I finally spoke up.

Kronos sighed. "There isn't much of a choice, but I suppose you have until the end of the week. Perseus, will you please escort the princess to one of the jail cells?"

Percy tilted his head. "Why does she need to go there? Can't she have one of the spare rooms in the common quarters?"

"They are all full. Bring her to the cells, Jackson."

"Then she can have my room. There is no need to lock her up like a prisoner. It will not help her feelings toward you nor will it give her an incentive to help us out."

Kronos frowned. "Do you fancy my soon-to-be fiancée?" he asked.

Percy's cheeks flushed red. "No, I just think it would be best to give her a comfortable living situation."

The two black-haired men stared each other down until the older one finally blinked and returned to his seat at his desk. "Fine, but if I learn of any sort of funny business between the two of you, I will count it as treason and there will be consequences."

Percy nodded. "Of course."

Then, he grabbed me by the elbows and helped me stand up. I hissed, accidentally putting pressure on my bad leg. He looked down at me sympathetically before wrapping an arm around my waist. I did the same to him and we slowly made our way out of Kronos' office.