Chapter Four

Surprisingly, I made it to the dining room without tripping over my heels. I caught my breath for a while outside the room, trying to postpone the moment when I would enter the party and have to socialize. The guards outside the door gave me a funny look, and I let out a small laugh.

"Don't mind me, I'm just not used to the corsetted life," I explained, pointing at my waist.

The two men nodded, turning their attention away from me.

I sucked in a breath and walked over to the door. I pulled the handle and scanned the room.

Every seat at our twenty-person table was filled except for one at the head of the table. My father and stepmother were seated in their usual seats. Matthew had taken my spot and Bobby was on his left. The three kings of each surrounding kingdom were scattered around the table, sitting beside their wives and children. Everyone stood when they spotted me. I bowed my head and walked over to the remaining seat, across from my father.

Once I sat, everyone followed suit. On my right was King Hades of Halldale, and on my left was Prince Nico, his son. Also at the table was his wife, Queen Persephone, King Marcus, Queen Demeter, and Princess Katie of Eden, and King Apollo, Queen Daphne, and Prince Will of Helios. Apollo was the son of Zeus' wife, making him my uncle. All the other members of the table were noblemen or women that I didn't know, but clearly, they were of some importance.

Zeus, Hades, and Demeter were all close allies while Zeus was still alive, and they were the rulers of the three main kingdoms of the earth. Zeus' kingdom, Olympus, was the largest and most powerful, and Halldale and Eden followed successively. Poseidon was the king of Atlantis, a small but powerful kingdom. Zeus hated Poseidon because Atlantis was the only thing separating Olympus from the sea, which would open up more trading possibilities for the kingdom. Poseidon hated Zeus because he didn't agree with the Olympian king's way of ruling.

When Zeus died, Olympus slowly became less powerful, but Halldale and Eden did their best to support the kingdom. Once Poseidon died, Atlantis was overtaken by Apollo, Zeus' stepson, and he claimed the land as Helios, a department of Olympus. Olympus became the most dominant kingdom once more, followed by Halldale, Eden, and then all the other minor kingdoms like Helios.

The kitchen staff began to file into the dining room, carrying trays of food. There was a roast pig, fresh rolls and gravy, mashed potatoes, carrots, peas, squash, and much much more. Glasses of wine were poured for everyone except my two halfbrothers, who got apple juice.

Once all the food was set out, people began to serve themselves helpings of the numerous items. I took meat, potatoes, carrots, peas, and a roll before deciding that was plenty and beginning to eat.

Conversations picked up again. I listened, pitching in only when my opinion was asked for like a polite princess. Finally, when the topic transferred away from anything that concerned me, I zoned out.

No one at my table would be my husband, which both eased my nerves while also rustling them up again. The noblemen were much too old to produce any heirs, and none of them had any sons. Nico was much too young, and Will was my cousin. Luckily incest had wormed its way out of royal tradition.

Dinner would last for an hour or so, and then everyone would dismiss themselves to go to the ballroom. That was when the remaining noblemen and women would arrive, as well as anyone from the kingdom of Olympus who wanted to come. That was when I would have to choose a husband.

My favorite part about birthday balls was that the doors were opened and the men and women of the kingdom flooded the gates. During other balls, the only guests were posh noblemen and women who only like to talk about themselves. The humble peasants of Olympus could hold conversations about varying topics, were extraordinarily polite, and generally interesting. Plus, I knew many of them rarely got a solid meal, so the fact that they were able to snack as they wanted all night made my heart feel warmed.

I felt a nudge on my foot and looked up. Nico was giving me a look.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What?" I mouthed.

He gestured to my father with his head, who was looking at me expectantly.

"Annabeth?" he asked.

"Sorry, I was in another place. What was the question?"

His face fell a little. "King Apollo asked if you had 'pulled an Athena'."

I narrowed my eyes. "Meaning?"

Apollo grinned. "Are there any men who have a higher chance of winning your hand tonight than anyone else?"

"I'm sorry, but I'm not quite sure I understand."

Nico rolled his eyes. "Are you courting anyone in secret, Annabeth?"

I shook my head. "Goodness, no. I have had no time for boys."

"So the answer is no," he drawled.

I blushed. "No, then."

Everyone chuckled and I sank into my chair. Once they began talking about something else, I looked at the boy on my left.

Nico wasn't always an only child. He had a sister, Bianca, who was two years older than him. Four years ago, she was sadly killed in an Insurgent terrorist attack. Nico went from a bubbly ten-year-old to a depressed, isolated one. I was one of the only people he bothered to open up to, because, in a dark way, we bonded over the death of a loved one.

I cleared my throat. "So, Nico, are you courting anyone in secret?" I teased.

He rolled his eyes. "As if."

I laughed softly. "I know. The thought of me picking a husband tonight is crazy."

"I'm sure you'll find somebody who meets your endless list of requirements," Nico told me.

"I hope so because I do not want to be stuck with some weirdo for the rest of my life."

He nodded. "Yeah, I get it."

Dinner passed by at a snail's pace, but eventually, everyone was finished and we headed to the ballroom.