[One Year Anniversary] In Celebration We Come Together

Jin POV

The bright hall is swollen with the joyous sounds of friends and family coming together in celebration. Today is Jungkook's first birthday and my parents spared no expense in creating a traditional Korean ceremony. Seeing as he is their first grandchild it makes sense for the push to have such a big party. Said child is nestled in Namjoon's arms as he converses with Hoseok and Yoongi. Jungkook looks unbelievably cute in the colorful hanbok that my mother insisted she help pick out. The jeogori is a mauve tone of pink trimmed in a purple plum color that matches the baji. Altogether the hanbok is quite a beautiful ensemble of silk, even I was shocked at the way it suited Jungkook so perfectly.

Namjoon and I decided against wearing hanbok of our own and dressed in more modern formal wear. My mother was none too happy about us foregoing traditional garments, but seeing Namjoon looking so dapper in his suit I couldn't be happier.

I had stepped away to greet some of the latecomers and as I made my way back I caught the tail end of their conversation. "... about three days. My mother wants us to stay longer, but we have to meet the movers on Friday." Jungkook immediately reaches his silk-clad arms out in my direction as soon as I approach the group. Hoseok finishes his sentence before turning with his signature golden grin, his arm wrapped around a just as smiley Yoongi. The two love birds are going to see the dancer's family for a few days. Hoseok's mom has fallen in love with Yoongi, despite having never met him, and insisted that they visit now that classes have finished. I am glad for Yoongi, he has been so happy with Hoseok and grown into the beautiful boy I have always known was there.

Seeing as Jungkook is about to wriggle out of Namjoon's arms I step forward and take hold of the antsy child. It is just about time to begin the most exciting part of the ceremony. Everyone has finally arrived and Jungkook's been passed around enough for such a shy little one. "I hate to cut into your conversation, but I think we ought to take our places Joonie. Eomma's been giving me the look for the last twenty minutes and so to prevent a storm from brewing we need to get into place." Yoongi gives me a sympathetic look knowing just what expression adorned my mother's face having been on the receiving end just as much as I have. Namjoon and I part ways with the other couple and begin to make our way to the front of the room where my mother taps her foot in nervous excitement.

Looking behind her I get my first glance at the ornate table she had prepared for Jungkook's birthday. The doljabi items are placed with care upon the rich blue silk table covering in preparation for when Jungkook will choose the item that symbolizes his future. According to my mother at my own Dol, my hands quickly reached for the songpyeon without hesitation. I guess it makes sense seeing as my appetite has yet to fail me. Namjoon's ceremony was even cuter. Apparently, he snatched the calligraphy brush off the table before his mother could even settle down to properly begin the doljabi. Which in hindsight makes perfect sense for the smart, but clumsy teacher's pet. Thinking about our own choices I wonder what Jungkook will choose. He has been such a monumental part of my life and those around me that I cannot imagine him being anything but successful in whatever he chooses. The telltale noises of a mic crackling to life break me from my reverie as my mother takes her place as MC. "You ready, hyung?" I look to the man beside me and a rush of warmth calms the nerves that began to rear their ugly head. Leave it to Namjoon to make everything dispel with just a simple dimpled grin. I nod in response and hold my hand out to him as we begin to make our way onto the stage. As we mount the stairs the lights overhead catch the diamonds on the ring adorning my finger and I cannot help the smile that pulls at my lips.

Once settled behind the table the real fun begins. A hush comes over the room as Eomma begins the ceremony. "First of all, I would like to thank you for celebrating with us on this special day. Today we celebrate baby Jungkook's first birthday with our friends and family. The last few months held many uncertainties for my son and his family as some of you may know. However, I am proud to announce the Doljabi of my grandson on this 21st of May." She pauses to give us a heartfelt grin that threatens to bring forth the tears I have fought all morning. "My son Kim Seokjin and his fiancee Kim Namjoon have promised to give this child a safe and loving home. Love and nurture is a precious gift that everyone deserves and I am so glad that we can shower Jungkook with endless affection. Will you please join me in a toast to the young couple as they embark on the journey of love, life, and family." The hall bursts into cheers as everyone sips their champagne in congratulations.