Kiss the Cook [Namjin Week Prompt 2]

JIN POV

Vegetables litter the counter all ranging in shape and size. Namjoon beside me carefully chops the carrots and mushrooms. Rarely do I let someone accompany me in the kitchen, other than Yoongi, but the younger one was enthusiastic about his pleas. My own hands are busy blanching the spinach while the beef marinades. After a successful mid-term week for Namjoon and my own progress in my internship at the hospital, we decided a celebratory meal of japchae was much deserved. Despite his cooking skills being limited, Namjoon makes up for it in excitement. Japchae became somewhat of a special meal for us over our courtship and now engagement so it made sense that when I mentioned cooking it at home that he would want it to be a joint affair.

By now the chop chop chop of his knife adds to the song playing lowly on the radio creating a comfortable atmosphere. I begin to boil the glass noodles with the spinach set to the side as it cools down. All the steps and separate marinades are worth it in the end, creating an ultimate comfort dish. It's a beautiful array of colors and flavors that remind me of the love the younger and I have come to have for one another. Sensing my sappy thoughts the student-professor slides up behind me, his muscle-toned arms wrapping themselves around my apron decorated waist. His honey dripped syllables whisper close to my ear, "Hmm, can't wait for dinner, hyung. Have I told you how lovely you look working your magic in the kitchen? It's making me ravenous..."

Red instantly flushes my face and ears, the sensation feeling almost feverish. The implication of his words steams up the kitchen even more so than the boiling water before us. Turning away from the stove and facing Namjoon I place my arms around his shoulders. "Oh, Joonie. Are you trying to seduce the cook? I'd call that foul play if I didn't think it was so hot. Coming up and wrapping me up in these muscles of yours is a dangerous game to be playing with dinner on the line." Namjoon grins his mischievous grin, dimples and all making my mostly calm exterior begin to crumble. "Alright, no more bedroom eyes. I wanted to make something special. Besides, there's plenty of time for "dessert" later." This time it's my turn to fluster the younger man as I curl my fingers through his lavender locks that he's let get long these last few weeks.

Shaking his head Namjoon pulls away but not before pressing his lips to mine. "You better have something especially sweet in mind, hyungie." I have to regain my breath before I can turn back to the task at hand. He simply saunters back to his place at the counter as though he hadn't been trying to seduce me out of the kitchen. Ignoring my menace of a fiancé I take the glass noodles off the stove and drain them through the colander. Oh, why did I pick such a complicated dish? Sentimental meanings and all that can only compete so much in the "heat" of the kitchen. Japchae certainly won't make itself so it's time I get my mind back to vegetables and not muscles.

<><><><>

After stir-frying for what seems like forever we can finally add everything to the mixing bowl. Steam rises to bring with it the tantalizing aroma of beef and sesame oil. Namjoon stands at the ready with gloves on to hand mix the japchae. I sprinkle in the sesame seeds before lending my own hands to the mixing. The joint effort isn't really necessary but the grins and accidental hand touching is oh so worth it.

Soon enough the noodle dish is mixed and served up in bowls ready for devouring. Namjoon and I take our portions and sit at the table to begin the much-anticipated meal. Spending time together like this, uninterrupted and completely at ease is few and far between. With both of us having difficult work hours and the shared responsibilities of a child it has been hard to appreciate the moments of downtime. Tonight wouldn't have even been possible if Yoongi hadn't taken Jungkook home to his and Hoseok's apartment for some much-needed bonding time. We're so lucky to have friends who love him as much as we do. Granted they were part of the journey to this whole family unit becoming a reality.

"Hey, you're thinking too much right now. Don't think for a minute I can't hear the wheels turning up there, Jagiya. Enjoy this moment of peace before reality has the chance to seep back in." Gentle fingers smooth the creases from my furrowed brow and slide down to cup my cheeks. "There's my beautiful, Jinnie. I know you have a lot to be responsible for, but just know that I'm here to support you..." I didn't expect to get emotional over dinner but my eyes welled up regardless. Whatever good deeds I did in my past life I couldn't be more thankful for because they allowed me to have a man such as Namjoon in my life. His beautiful heart and even prettier eyes capture mine at this moment just as they have countless times before.

"Namjoon-ah, I love you..." The words come out as a whisper but the meaning gets across as the younger man brings his lips to my forehead. Followed by my eyelids, nose, and then finally sealing the silent promise against my own lips. It could have been hours or minutes that passed before we separated, but time is irrelevant when it comes to the connection we share. Cooking together, though mundane in essence, really has been a moment to cherish.