Chapter 11 - A Scientific Mystery

Start from the beginning

"No idea." Leo shrugged. "It doesn't look like a chemical we've seen, so it's probably some kind of potion."

"Okay." I picked up a scroll. On it was a word: "ΥΔΡOΧÓOΣ".

Sagittarius looked at the confused look I had on my face. "I know right. These scrolls are weird."

"No, it's just-" I squinted and looked at the scroll once again. "I think this is Greek, but I'm not that sure. I'm not good at languages and stuff. I'll have to ask Capricorn."

"So what about these potion things?" Leo held up a bottle. The scarlet red liquid inside it sloshed around.

"I dunno. Maybe test them on something? Probably on plants. Plants are good to test things on." I drained the rest of my lemonade.

Suddenly, a bottle of white objects caught my eye. I was convinced that I've seen these before. I picked the bottle up to examine it.

"I know, those things are weird." Sagittarius agreed when she saw what I was examining. "Those are probably teeth or something."

"Teeth..." I recalled a myth I've read about before. I put the bottle of "teeth" down, ran into my room, grabbed my laptop and sat down on the living room couch. "Now where have I heard about teeth?"

"Why do you need to know about teeth?" Leo asked curiously.

I ignored him. I opened a new tab on my laptop and typed "dragon teeth greek mythology" into the search bar.

"Aha!" I exclaimed once I found what I was looking for.

"What is it?" Leo asked, getting out of his seat so he could see what I found.

I showed everyone the laptop. "It says here that in the myth of Jason and the Golden Fleece, Jason had to face a couple of trials to get the Golden Fleece. He was convinced that there were seeds and he had to plant them, but the sorceress Medea told him that these seeds were dragon teeth. By sowing the teeth, an army of spartoi, skeleton warriors, would come out of the ground. Medea told Jason to throw a rock into the crowd of skeleton warriors so they would turn on each other and kill each other."

"Wait," Sagittarius stopped me. "What was the name of the sorceress again?"

I scrolled back to a paragraph in the website I was looking at. "Medea."

"Wait, didn't Ms Medea say that she was an all powerful sorceress or something?" Leo said to Sagittarius.

Sagittarius thought for a while before answering. "Yes, she did say that."

"Wait," I interrupted them. "Are you saying that this sorceress lady and our science teacher are the same person?"

"Well there's only one way to find out." Sagittarius took a dragon tooth out of the bottle. She headed to the balcony of the dorm. Leo and I had no choice but to follow her.

"Aren't these supposed to grow skeleton warriors?" Leo asked, concerned.

Sagittarius didn't turn back to look at me. "Well, if they do, then Ms Medea will have a reason to keep these in her lab."

She put soil in a flower pot, dropped the dragon tooth in it, then poured the rest of her lemonade on it.

"Uh, is that safe?" I asked.

All of a sudden, a bony finger came out of the dirt. A head, torso, and arms soon followed. Soon, we were standing face to face with a spartoi.

The skeleton warrior raised his bony spear and charged at us. My first instinct was to throw a rock at him. I picked up a nearby pebble that was lying on the balcony and threw it at the spartoi's hips. It collided with the spartoi's hip join, knocking its leg off, causing the spartoi to fall. Leo and Sagittarius saw what I was doing. Sagittarius, risky as always, took advantage of the fallen spartoi and grabbed its spear. She started stabbing it.

Bones were everywhere. Leo picked up the leg I knocked off and threw it off the balcony.

"Why'd you do that?" I asked. "It's going to get run over by cars!"

"You'll never know if they can use nearby bones to rebuild themselves." He responded, chucking an arm off the balcony. "Kind of like horror movie skeletons. Actually, I've never watched on, but I just know this, okay?"

The rest of our friends chose that moment to walk into the room. They saw us at the balcony, Sagittarius examining the spartoi's bony spear, Leo throwing bones off the balcony, and me looking like all hell had broken loose.

I stepped away from the balcony and waved nervously at our nine shocked friends.

"Hi guys." I said awkwardly. "We've got a lot of explaining to do."

~~~

Another chapter done!

There's a lot of mythological references in here. I know that Greek myths are like 3000 years old, so please don't call me out just because this is the myth I grew up reading.

On that note, have a good day/night!

Peace out,

The author owo