"Ah, no wonder he picked you, you are quick-minded and powerful, you would have been perfect if you weren't so stubborn." The woman's smooth voice drawls in an almost teasing matter and I can't help the grin that pulls at my lips. 

"Wait! Wait a damn minute, how did you know that?" Jake questions with a  puzzled frown pulling at his usually soft features. 

"Good ol' dad's genetics were fucking strong, look at her. " I point incredulously at the woman standing in our living room. We look far too alike, it's almost frightening.

Wait, she broke into our house, smashed a window and knocked out some of our men. Shit. 

"Ok, I get that we are clearly related but that's as much as I'm getting right now, care to fill me in?" I inquire and receive a mischievous smirk in return.  

"I assume you know of our father's attempts to create some great weapon?" I nod when she pauses," Well, he didn't get it right the first time. I know I'm not the first but I was the most promising for a long time, before you, of course. My mother may have been exiled but she had alpha blood, meaning she survived my birth and I had the most potential." 

"He said... he said you were a failure, but you don't smell human, what exactly can you do?" Xavier questions sceptically, pressing himself protectively against my back. 

"Much to my father's disgust, I can only half shift, teeth, claws, talons, wings you name it but I could never fully transform into any animal and it drains me fast. He was so disappointed, bitter with regret for how much time he wasted on me, how much trouble he went through to impregnate my mother, he even went as far to name me Mara, which to its very core means cold and bitter, his bitter defeat." 

"But being able to grow wings and powerful canines, it's incredible, you are incredible Mara," I assure my sister earnestly trying to override the monster's horrific words. 

"Maybe, but he'd never accept that. Hey, if he'd stuck around he'd even have found out I developed some of his own neat tricks when I was around 18. Now, I can create his little energy fields and blasts, even teleport small distances if I put my mind to it, but I bet even that wouldn't be enough for him. " She reveals bitterly. 

"Wait, when you were 18, how old are you?" I ask softly.

"22, I'm 4 years older than you, it didn't take the bastard long to move on from my mother, dump her when she was no longer of use. "

"If it makes you feel any better, he tried to kill me and my mum when I was 11 because he thought he had failed, he got her, but I'm still kicking." I empathise.

Her eyes turn sad as she immediately approaches me. Xavier tenses but I shrug him off and meet Mara halfway where she wraps her arms around me tightly. I relax into her earthy scent and comforting warmth as she whispers apologies. 

"I'm so sorry, neither of you deserved that."

"Neither did you, Mara." Jenna's voice sounds from behind us.

The jarring addition of another voice reminds me that there are other people in this room and I quickly swivel to face them. My eyes land on the carnage Mara created in the process and I sigh as I think of a polite way to ask my question. 

"Not to be rude but.. why?" I gesture around us to the mess she clearly created upon arrival.

Her ocean-blue eyes take in the glass and bodies strewn haphazardly around the room. I catch the slight twitch in her lip as she shrugs her shoulders innocently.

"Sorry about that I guess, but they wouldn't let me through. Besides, none of them are dead, oh, there are more near the borders and outside as well, my bad." She feigns regret as she rubs her neck sheepishly but I see the amusement in her light eyes and can't help but roll my own. 

"Why were you in such a hurry that you broke a perfectly good window, anyway?" 

"Oh fuck, I forgot!" Mara exclaims harshly.

"What?" I question lowly grabbing her am to ground myself. 

" I came to help, to fight, to warn you, they're on their way." She warns sending the already stressed room into total panic.

Fuck, we thought we at least had a couple of days but the time just keeps getting shorter and shorter, they might as well be-

"THEY'RE HERE!" 

-right on our doorstep.

Shit.

-

A/N Oooooo, it's really getting spicey now. Ok, but can we discuss how disgusting the new offline library update is, like yeah we took away something that was free but trust me it's better like no one asked for it ever but you really want it and like it, trust us. Absolutely disgusting, I'd die before I pay for premium and these bitches better know that now. Also not to bring another downer on the mood but there are only like 20 cases of COVID19 in NZ rn but I think I'm about to make that one more because I legit feel like I'm on my death bed and haven't been to school all week so I've been thriving. Make sure y'all are staying safe and for the love of god wash your hands, be hygienic and STAY HOME if you are feeling unwell or have been advised to by an authority/official, this has been a PSA. 

By Mysteriosu_Mischief