Chapter 8

Hey guys, hope you're enjoying this book so far. As this is the first chapter that I haven't pre-written it is going to be my usual 7-8 word document pages long instead of the 10-11 even 12 pages they have been so far.

Enjoy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

20th February 1917 – Private First Class Daniel Murillo's p.o.v

"Danny wake up," Jorel says, sounding frightened. Why would Jay be scared? He is afraid of nothing, at least nothing that I know of. I open my eyes and look at him. I don't know what the time is, but I don't think we are late. "He's okay Jay. It's just taken him a while to wake up from the whole thing," Rigo says. I have no idea what they are talking about. Jay plays with my hair and smiles when he realises that I am looking at him. "What happened?" I ask my brother. Something about this seems familiar, I think this has happened before. I have some brain damage after all the years of beatings. "You stopped breathing for a moment," Rigo explains. That makes sense to me now. It does happen randomly and often when I am sleeping. I sit up and Jorel hugs me tightly. I hug him back and he smiles.

"I forgot how scary that was. Sorry Danny," Jay tells me. To be fair on Jorel, it has been a while since the last episode, and I would never blame him for the way he feels. The others look shocked and relieved. I know it is the first time that Matt, Jordon and Dylan have seen this. "It's okay Jorel, even I have forgotten to that it happens to me, it has been a while. I would never blame you for the way you feel," I tell him. I am going to have to explain some more to our new friends about my health. Rigo pulls me onto his lap protectively. "Danny has some brain damage from the beatings. It is the main reason he stops breathing sometimes, but it doesn't really affect him otherwise," Rigo explains. They know about father hurting me and they hate him as much as Jorel, George, Rigo and I do.

"Oh god, at least we can deal with it next time if you are not there," Jordon says. We have been here for a month now and I trust my new friends with my life. I hate how my father is still affecting my daily life and the bastard isn't even here physically. "Yeah, you guys know enough first aid to help," George says. It is nearly breakfast time. Rigo does not want to let me go. "I hate you father. I would seriously hurt him if I saw him," Jordon says, and I know for a fact the others would be in full agreement with him. I know of a few other people who would be willing and ready to hurt my father at a moments notice. "It feels good to be bale to talk about it freely," I say, and I am sure Rigo would agree. It's definitely a weight off my chest.

"Danny is right, it feels so good to get the abuse off our chest. It is nice to have someone who will listen and let us share our experience," Rigo says, resting his chin on my head. It wasn't weird to us, we do it all the time. We are definitely close brothers despite all attempts father made to turn us against each other. "We will always be here to listen to you. You don't have to worry or hide how you truly feel anymore," Dylan says. I am so glad I have met all these people. I feel like mine and Rigo's mental wellbeing will be a lot better from now on. I hear the sound of boots on the frosty winter ground, that means it is breakfast time. "Yum breakfast," Jordon says, trying to pull on his boots as quickly as possible.

He still had the layer of polish on the boot, we usually take that off after we have eaten breakfast so that they are the freshest and shiniest they can be before morning parade. It has helped gain us a very good reputation with some of the adults who are in charge. We're often the best presentable recruits on parade. We keep ourselves clean and well shaven and our uniform is as spotless as it can get. I know that our uniform is never going to be as perfect as the day it was issued to us, but if we can get even a little bit close to that standard then we are good to go. I don't see why they bother so much if it just gets muddy, bloody, torn and destroyed on the battlefield anyways which is where 90% of us will end up going.