Chapter 14

TW mentions of plans of murderous intent as well as attacks. Also, old fashioned ways of thinking compared with now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

23rd April 1917 ~ Captain Murillo'spoint of view --------------------------------------------------------------------

Today is the day where I will finally do what I should have done months, if not years ago. For too long I have let other people dictate to me how I will live my life. Today that all changes. I'm going to the camp, and I am going to finish what I have started. I will never make it to the frontlines again, but at least I can smuggle or sneak my way into the camp and see what I can do about those sons of mine. I know I can't get my middle son as he is deployed, but the other two are in the training camp and I will take my time and plan it carefully, so I can get each one alone. I will save my youngest for last. He is the one who I want the most. He was the one who should have been already dead by now. I knew I got him good back at the café.

The fact that I discovered I had been lied to make my blood boil. Not that I particularly care that I had finally managed to kill Danny or not. They made me believe that I had for months then I discovered he snuck off the day or two after and still didn't die from his injuries then. That and he's still writing letters back home and even planning on writing a book telling the world that he perceived that his childhood and early adulthood were cruel because of me. Apparently, everyone else agrees with that including my favorite barista Jake who told me that I am not allowed back when they reopen once the war is over.

I can't even join the war efforts in any useful way. They've refused to let me serve on the front lines and I have been told to stay in the office for the rest of the war. To that I say no way. I want to fight for my country like every other man over the age of eighteen has been given the chance to. They told me that I'm not fit enough but I have spent over thirty years training my own sons on how they can be the best soldier they can be, and this is how I'm repaid? I have been pretending like everything has been fine, but really, I have been patiently waiting for my turn to strike and to get back at those that have done me wrong.

I will start with my sons, then the army and eventually my wife. I don't think I will quite get that far but if I plan for it then I will know in my heart I have tried to make things right for me. There will be some parts of my plan which will be impossible but the important thing for me is that I have given it my best shot. Kyle can count his blessings when he finds out I have murdered his brothers. He will be praying that being deployed on the frontlines will kill him before I have the chance to get my hands on him. He'll be begging for it by the time he finds out his family is dead. I bet he doesn't even know what has been going on.

In the last letter I received from him he mentioned how he was sad that he was going to come back from the war and his baby brother was not going to be there to celebrate the victory with him. Now I don't know if he knows the truth or not, it is not my place to tell him though. He will find out soon enough. I managed to get myself on the train to the camp as a supervising officer, but I am not intending on doing as I am told the whole way there. They will expect me to stay on the train so we can make the two-day trip back home again. I have no intention of doing that. Some of the newer officers are easy to manipulate.

I'm going to use that to my advantage. They are afraid of my rank and experience, and I can easily tell them that someone higher up had given the wrong instructions and changed it so that I was staying behind to march them up to the camp and then in four days' time we will be going back Los Angeles which will give me the perfect chance to wait it out and find both of my sons before they know I am here and then strike. "You must be so proud of your sons, captain," one of the newer officers tells me. We had only just boarded the train and I could tell it is going to be a long two days.