Chapter 1

Hey guys, this is an AU set in World War Two. It's going to be twenty chapters long and I have had this as a paper draft for almost as long as I had started writing DI back in the day.

Please be aware some characters within this story are not anything like their real life counter parts because this is a story!

I might mention this a couple of times; all my military knowledge will come from research I have done on the American Army during WW1 and the training parts will come from my knowledge being an army cadet and the training I did there.

The cover has been made by the lovely Joana_Carter (all I did was make it wattpad size and credit her)

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

January 12th, 1917 – Private Jorel Decker's point of view

I wake up on a freezing cold train with my best friend snuggled into my side, he's still fast asleep. I notice that he is affected by the coldness of the winter weather a lot more than I have been. I feel a lot of guilt just watching him shivering in his sleep. It is my fault that he is here, he should be back home in Los Angeles, where it is a lot warmer. I wrap my arm around his smaller frame, then I start rubbing his arm. I am hoping by doing this enough I can generate enough friction to warm him up while he sleeps. Once we arrive at camp and get into the swing of things I think he will feel warmer. They will have blankets there too, we don't have any blankets here. I don't know why they haven't issued us with one.

I look around, there are not many people awake at the moment. Right before we got onto the train to go to the training camp we were given a brief on what will happen and to get as much rest as we can throughout the journey since it will be a long one. Two people on the bench on the opposite side of the carriage were watching me with curiosity. It is scarce for two males to have the close bond that I have with my friend and be so open with it. "Hey, my name's Jordon Terrell," the shorter of the two says, I am glad he is not being rude after we made eye contact. It would have been an incredibly awkward situation otherwise. I need to get to know more people on this train anyway because we will be trained together.

I manage to shake his hand without disturbing my friend who has his head on my shoulder. "Hey, I'm Jorel Decker," I tell him. Jordon nudges his friend, encouraging him to speak as well. "I'm Matthew Busek," he tells me, the first thing I noticed was I was not expecting his voice to be like that. I look to my shivering companion who is still fast asleep, and I don't think he is going to be waking up any time soon. I know that he is still struggling to warm up despite my best efforts. "So, your friend doesn't really cope with the cold?" Jordon asks, making me look up from my sleeping friend. "Not really, but I am sure he will be fine once he gets to move around a bit," I tell him. Matt doesn't say much, but then I got to know him a little more and he is a lot like my sleeping friend. They are both shy and quite quiet.

Another guy who was on the other side of me wakes up and decides to join in the conversation. "Hey, I'm Dylan Alvarez," he tells us, and that name rang a bell inside my head somewhere. We keep talking regardless. "The boss said you'd wind up here eventually," Dylan says, and that was the thing that made me realise where I knew him from. Jordon and Matt gave us the WTF look. "We used to work together back in Los Angeles," I say, I don't know if they are from LA like us yet. That's why I didn't call it LA. They were about to ask us about it when my friend wakes up, a little startled and a little confused. "We are still on the train," I tell him, as he rubs the rheum (Sleep) out of the corners of his eyes. "What's your name?" Matt asks my friend. "I'm Danny Murillo," he tells them.