Chapter 24.

Nalini's breath hitched as the doors opened to the living room or as they called it here in this time 'the drawing room'. The walls were painted pickle green with white borders that seemed to extend vertically. The first thing she saw as she walked in the room, however, was the large window right in the middle of the wall, silky red velvet curtains that hung in generous folds around the mullioned windows, lined with dense cotton of intense plum.

Looking up, she was met with a large, white, glistening chandelier that cast reflections on the walls. There were portraits of people that looked like nobility, but none that looked like they could be related to the Duke—or it probably could, maybe it was a great grandfather or something. There were all sorts of furniture around for all the guests to situate themselves in; a wide, red leather chair placed on the left side, a white cushioned stool in one corner in which Richard ran to occupy, with other cushioned chairs strewn about the room.

Everyone but Edward decided to sit so Nalini decided to occupy him and stand next to him, though not quite touching. They exchanged brief smiles but turned their attention to the Duke who stood at the centre of the room. With a clear of the throat, he struggled to speak for some time until words poured out of his mouth.

"I have invited some of you," he said, pointedly glancing at two of the women in the room, "to display my greatest thanks to you. Perhaps I have not said it often but I am very grateful for your presence." He turned to Edward. "For your show of bravery and," he looked at Nalini, last, "for your very moving words that have inspired me to be appreciative of my people more. So, I thank you."

The room was eerily silent; no one could believe that the great, icy Duke had just thanked them. For no apparent reason, too. It was moving, to say the least, especially for Nalini whose eyes glistened wet with unshed tears. She had never been thanked for anything in her life, not genuinely. Those words weren't just thankful but filled with acknowledgement.

All her life, that was what she wanted from her grandfather and it was something she had never gotten. No matter what she did, it seemed to anger him to the point where he would starve her for a few days. She couldn't help but long for what she could never have but was grateful that it was given by the Duke. He was a very important figure in this era, so it did truly mean something.

Something in her chest shifted; it was weightless and fluttering as she watched him with a shaky smile. Newfound respect and admiration filled her being...no, and something else. She didn't know what but it felt nice. No longer did she feel as if he was a rude human being. He was thanking her. Albeit, he was thanking everyone but he didn't have to thank her of all people.

Edward leaned in. "Did you not doubt me when I mentioned his character? Do you believe me now?"

Nalini let out a breathy laugh, swatting at her eyes briefly so that he didn't notice she was about to cry. "I believe you. He's still not agreeable but...he's not so bad after all," she said, a fond smile on her now flushed face. She watched with glossy eyes as the Duke cleared his throat and held himself up straighter, refusing to look anyone in the eye.

"However, this does not mean you may act in whichever manner you shall want. Just know that I do appreciate all of your efforts to help with my work for the estate and the people."

"There is no need for any formalities, you ninny," Nathaniel said with a scoff. Lady Appleton snorted, and the Duke's narrowed eyes flickered towards her.

"Nathaniel—"

"Yes, I know. You are still the Duke and respect is in order—I am quite aware. However, since we are revealing our true feelings, I must be honest with you, too should I not?"