Chapter 17.

Nalini had not anticipated that things would take a turn for the worse during her visit to Edward's house.

"Passed away? You mean...dead?" she repeated, feeling hollow.

Edward let out a deep, shaky breath through his nose as if he was trying not to lose control. "Yes. That is indeed what I mean."

Nalini couldn't help but feel miserable. For Edward first of all, but also for...the Duke.

A part of her figured that he probably blamed himself for her death the entire time, which would explain his anger a lot.

"Oh," was the only thing that tumbled out of Nalini's mouth.

Edward hummed. "I apologise if I only served to make this situation uncomfortable for you."

"No, you haven't made me feel uncomfortable at all," she said, softly.

If anything, she was glad he was willing to share something personal with her.

It almost made her feel guilty for not sharing what had weighed her down her whole life, with Edward.

"Can I...share something of my own?"

Edward looked at her, curious. "Yes, of course. Do not refrain from sharing anything on your mind, please."

Nalini looked back at the horse, trying to keep busy so that she wouldn't have to look at him.

"My parents are...no more. I was raised by my grandpa who despised me."

"Despised?"

Nalini nodded. "When my parents passed away he blamed me because I survived the accident and they didn't. As a result, he abused me."

She didn't want to get into the details of what exactly he'd done because the tickle in her throat meant that she would definitely cry.

Edward was silent beside her. She turned her head to see his eyes slightly wide, but upon seeing her gaze on him he cleared his throat.

He looked away at Daisy.

"That is...I am very sorry to hear about that. That your grandfather did such things to you and at such a young age, I do not know how you have come out as strong as you have."

Nalini let out a small, sad smile at that, suddenly feeling awkward at how she had just randomly told him something serious.

"Um, yeah."

"Miss Nalini?"

She turned to see Edward's eyes that had lit up. He seemed to look the opposite of what she thought he would express. In fact, he looked relieved.

"I am glad you decided to confide such an issue with me. It makes me glad and quite useful too, I must say."

Nalini let out a little laugh and nodded, the burden suddenly relieving her shoulders.

"Well you shared something with me, so it's only fair."

"Oh, so it was out of pity?" He mockingly shook his head in disappointment. "What a disgrace!"

The comment caused her to laugh. "Says the disgrace!"

Edward looked taken-aback but he composed himself quickly.

"Wow, you are quick-tongued, too. I shouldn't be too surprised, I suppose," he said with a chuckle. "I would be lying if I did not say that you are a woman like no other. Don't be fooled: it is not because of colour."

She could feel her cheeks heating up and was secretly thanking God that she was darker in colour so that he couldn't see the colour rising.

A bright smile formed her face. "And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't grateful for that compliment. Thank you, Edward, for being someone I can be myself around. You're the only person I've told about my grandfather. So consider yourself lucky."