Chapter 20

Nalini didn't want to do anything but cry. The feeling of wanting to scream at the world was so immense but at this point, she didn't have the energy anymore. She sat in her room silently, hearing the clock above the room ticking hypnotically.

Her eyes stung from constantly crying at the reminder that her mum was nowhere to be found and her dad didn't know who she was, happily living with another woman and their children. Her whole body jerked when the door was knocked on rapidly. With a heavy sigh, she lifted herself up from the bed and put on a smile as she opened the door.

It widened slightly when her eyes met with an overexcited Richard and a smiling Nora. "You're okay!" Nora exclaimed, engulfing Nalini into a hug.

She gratefully returned it and then giggled at Richard who was tugging excitedly on her skirt, jumping up and down.

"I wanna hug too!" he said with a toothy grin.

Nalini ruffled his hair before bending down and pulling him into a tight embrace.

Tears once again filled her eyes at the glow in their eyes just at seeing her.

At least I'm wanted somewhere.

And for once, excluding everything with the Duke, she was grateful for being where she was.

"I haven't seen ya in forever!!"

"It's 'you', Richard," Nalini corrected, smiling. "And I'm here now. Don't worry, I won't be leaving like that again."

She didn't know how she was supposed to feel when that sentence left her lips.

Her stomach twisted and churned with mixed feelings; joy at being with the two people that seemed to cherish her just as much as she did them, but sorrow at being separated from her family back in India and in her time forever.

Forever.

It was as if the life was knocked out of her at that very thought because her legs gave way.

The last thing she remembered was her eyes fluttering shut and her body roughly colliding with the floor.

***

"Her health is a little weak. She seems to have a fever and is undernourished just as she was the first time I had tended to her. Something may be bothering her internally. To be so weak in such a short amount of time and without doing much? You say she fainted all of a sudden, am I right Miss?"

She could hear Nora's faint, quiet voice replying.

"Yes, I-I don't know how. She seemed completely fine when I came to her. She was smiling you see, and then all—"

"That is enough," The Duke cut her off, his authoritative voice echoing in her ears. "You may take leave and if there is any progress with Miss Chandhy, I will let you know." His voice sounded somewhat concerned - confusing her slightly.

Maybe I'm imagining things.

"Tend to her at all times," he ordered, his voice rough.

"Of course, Alastair," the man that was speaking before, said.

Nalini's eyes began to move rapidly from side to side underneath her eyelids as the sunlight hit. She guessed it was from the blinds that had suddenly been opened but cursed whoever did it.

"She seems to be somewhat conscious," the man hummed. Right on cue, Nalini cracked open her eyes slowly and blinked rapidly to get used to the setting. Her room was brightly lit and she guessed right - the blinds were pulled open by the man, who looked like a doctor, with his fashionable attire and suitcase.