On the run

At this point, the two were now getting tired from all the running. However, they were still being chased by the police.

"Oh, I have an idea!" Gumball said, spotting an ice cream truck nearby. He then stopped in his tracks. 

"Wait what are you doing?" Darwin questioned, now panicking as the cops drew closer. "Shouldn't we be running?"

"Trust me, I got this." The cat pointed to the truck, gaining the officers' attention. "FREE ICE CREAM!!"

With joy, the police ran towards the truck, surprising the vendor.

"Let's get out of here before they figure things out." Gumball led Darwin away from the area, the two heading off once more through the neighborhood.

"You still haven't exactly told me where we're going yet Gumball.." The goldfish said, a little miffed, but more or less worried. He was used to going along with adventures and getting chased, but this felt more scarier when he had no idea when it would be over.

"Well um.. I guess wherever's the safest." The blue cat replied, as he and Darwin finally stopped and took a break. "Definitely not the house though."

Gumball soon sighed, the realization striking him. "Dang it I really screwed things up didn't I? I forced you to be here, and because of me, we're on the run, and there's nowhere to really stay at.. Considering half the town probably hates me now.."

"Don't say that. You didn't screw anything up." Darwin wiped off the tears from the cat's face, getting a few traces of blood smeared on his fin, more or less from earlier during the confrontation. Now that he thought about it, it was a little weird that living food had blood in them. "You just, didn't know what else to do."

"No, it's all my fault.. There's probably already some sign or news report or whatever saying 'there's a crazy kid that murdered somebody on the loose, oh yeah it's Gumball Watterson better go hang him!'"

"Gumball." Darwin placed his fins onto the cat's cheeks, forcing him to look at him face to face. "You're still the same lovable goof I know, okay? Nothing can change that. Even if you are crazy, I still love you. Even if it was your fault, I'd still do this." He then kissed him, locked in place where he was.

Gumball soon kissed back, hugging the goldfish tight. It felt as if fireworks were going off around them, certainly different from the space theme he once had.

The two soon let go, for a moment staring at each other with awe and admiration.

"Wow, that was even better than the first time.." Gumball uttered, as stars appeared in his eyes. 

"Well, that was just because Anais interrupted it the first time." Darwin replied with a grin.

"Oh yeah. We're still in mortal danger. We better get going." The blue cat had now realized the police could be coming any moment now. After all, the ice-cream wouldn't last forever back there.  

"Any ideas where?" Darwin asked, eyebrow raised.

"The.. Forest? It's really the only other option we got."

"Good enough."

The two went down the familiar road that lead to the Forest Of Doom's entrance, eventually stumbling upon the dark area. 

Darwin shrieked, hearing a loud sound from the large woods, which in turn frightened him. "Not to chicken out or anything, but maybe this wasn't the best idea.."

"Don't worry, we'll be fine." Gumball replied, putting one arm around the fish. "I won't let these monsters hurt you. It'll be them that get killed if they even try."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

Gumball and Darwin then walked in, feeling the sudden change in atmosphere. The tree leaves moved ever so slightly by the wind, as howls and cries from monsters could be heard.

"We probably shouldn't be out in the open like this.." Darwin said, showing a sign of worry. "They'll see us."

"Come on then, let's go find a hiding spot or something." The feline led the way, as the two walked through the woods with caution, doing their best not to be seen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It was now close to nighttime, as they found a spot to rest at, after hours of searching. They were admittedly pretty tired, so the stop was more than deserved.

"So.. What is there to eat around here?" Darwin asked. "Well, besides whatever those animals are supposed to be."

Gumball glanced around the area warily, unsure of an answer. He soon spotted a dim lit light ways away from their hiding area. "Hang on, I think I found our dinner." 

He looked back at Darwin. "I'll be back, just try not to make any sound. Y'know, just in case."

The fish nodded, and Gumball proceeded heading towards the light quietly yet sneakily. 

As he came closer, he quickly hid in the bushes, seeing someone there in what appeared to be a campsite. The person was roasting marshmallows over a fire, humming some tune under his breath.

"Ok, how am I gonna do this?" Gumball thought to himself, peeking through, as he tried to be as silent as possible, considering he didn't know what the status of the situation was right now. Had the news of them spread outside town? All he could hope was that answer was no.

The guy soon however finished his meal, and put the marshmallow bag in a backpack, setting it by his tent. He then went into the mentioned structure, and zipped up the flap. After a couple minutes, snoring could be heard.

Now that the coast was clear, Gumball went closer, stepping beside the small bag of items. He knew stealing was wrong, but it wasn't the time to worry about it. The blue feline rummaged through the contents, eventually finding the food. Carefully, he took it out and set the bag back down, cautious not to disturb the camper. 

Gumball then snuck back through the woods, looking around for their hiding spot. Finding Darwin there, he sat beside him, putting the bag in the middle. "Dinner has been served."

"Marshmallows?" The fish raised an eyebrow. "Let me guess, some guy camping out in the woods?"

"Yep. It counts as food though." Gumball replied, taking one. Hesitant at first, he wrapped his arm around Darwin, a slight blush appearing on his cheeks. "Well, at least we get some time alone right now."

"Yeah, it's pretty nice.." Darwin scooched closer, and rested his head beside him. "Who knows how long we can do this.." He took a marshmallow as well, and began to eat it.

"I guess it depends how long it takes for them to find us." Gumball quietly ate his portion, and swallowed, slightly glancing to the side. "There's probably a really good chance they'll do bad stuff to me for doing this.. Even if I did try to explain myself, they'd kill me.."

"Hey, it's ok. We'll probably get through this, and make it out in the end." Darwin said. He then yawned, his eyelids now drooping heavily. "We should probably get some sleep."

The two leaned back against a tree, each resting an arm on one another, the fish's head still beside Gumball's side.

"G'night Darwin." 

"'Night."

They fell asleep, each with a slight blush. The marshmallow bag, now empty, blew away, landing a few feet nearby. Who knew what tomorrow would bring.