Confronting the conflict

"Anais look, it's not what you think-"

"It is, Gumball. Now explain." The bunny narrowed her eyes, looking quite angry, but willing to listen to whatever her brother was going to say. She had a hunch there was something going on. "Lying will only make your situation worse anyway."

Gumball was reluctant to explain the whole thing. He knew she would be furious with the reason either way. Though, it wasn't like he had much choice here. "Well.. I.. Um.." 

He sighed. "I kinda got jealous because Rachel liked Darwin, so... I killed her.. 'Cause... I like him.. Y'know.. Like, like him.."

Anais seemed to sort of understand what he meant by that. It was pretty much the most basic way to vaguely say such a thing. "You mean you like Darwin more than a friend?"

"Y-Yeah.." He awkwardly shifted his eyes away from her, knowing she might be disgusted.

"Hey," The bunny didn't sound as angry as before, but she was still somewhat peeved. "it's ok, I'm not judging you or anything."

Gumball sighed again in relief at the reply. "Oh thank gosh.. I thought you'd be super weirded out or something.."

Anais shook her head no in response. "Look, I'm more angry about the murder part. Considering that you're probably going to be hunted down by the police by now, and sent to jail with all the other crazy people."

"So.. What exactly do we do?.. It's not like we can just waltz on out of here like nothing happened.."

"I thought you knew you were going to get in trouble eventually." She crossed her arms, her eyes narrowing as annoyance grew. "You can't exactly get away with literal murder."

"Ok I get it, I'm the bad guy here. But can you AT LEAST help out a little?"

"Guys hold on!" Darwin didn't want the two fighting about this. Things were tense and awful enough, the last thing any of them needed was for it to get worse. "There's nothing to fight over!"

"Easy for you to say.." Anais muttered, glaring at Gumball, as if he spat on her shoes. "We're technically stuck in a storage closet with a demented murderer, and an angry mob's looking for him. What else should I add?"

"I'm not demented whatever that means!" The cat was very much angry himself now, at one point struggling to keep himself from snapping at her. "And the door isn't even locked!"

"Stop fighting okay?!" Darwin shouted, standing between them to keep any more conflict from arising. "That so-called angry mob might hear you!" 

Gumball and Anais fell silent, as the goldfish sighed. "Maybe if we reason with them, they won't send Gumball to jail."

"Are you sure that would work?.." The feline cut in. "We're talking about an angry mob that knows I murdered someone.. I don't think they'd be reasonable.."

"It's ok," Darwin took Gumball by the hand, and kissed him lightly on the cheek. This made the cat immediately blush. "We can reason with them. Haven't we done it before?"

"Well, count me out of this one." Anais remarked, opening the storage door. She looked away, not exactly used to the two being a thing yet. "I'd rather be safe from those people, thank you."

"Suit yourself." Gumball looked at Darwin with worry, before stepping out of the storage room with him, gripping onto his hand tightly. Admittedly he was starting to doubt this plan. "Let's hope these guys won't hurt us right away.."

"We'll fix this, just trust me." The goldfish said, leading the way, while Gumball stayed behind him, scared out of his mind. "It'll all be okay."

The cat couldn't help but feel afraid for what was about to come. He knew after this, people would still be mad at him. Worse, his mother would probably go ballistic if she found out. It wasn't exactly like it could be entirely swept under the rug, could it?