5.

Her actions.

"Make sure you actually do your homework when you are there. Remember it's a school night so don't get too crazy," Mum says with a chuckle making me want to roll my eyes but I refrain.

"Yes mummy," I say as I stare out the window hoping my answer will seem as non-chalant as possible to hide the mixed emotions roaming about in me.

I'm on my way to Mara's house. Earlier, I was hoping she would cancel because of the late information but she kept insisting that it wouldn't be fair to Myra. Even worse, her parents agreed to the sleepover. Sometimes I wish her parents weren't so carefree.

"It's really nice that you guys are helping this new girl. Not many people would do that," Mum says with a sigh. Great, she's trying to guilt trip me unknowningly.

"Are we there yet?" I ask, hoping to get out of the car fast.

"Yes we are," Mum says as she parks in front of Mara's relatively large home.

"Thank you mummy," I say as I grab my backpack and climb out of the car. More like a Jeep actually, a black Honda Jeep, my... Dad's Jeep. I gulp as I stood by the passenger side.

I think my mum noticed because she gives me a warm smile.

"He would be so proud of you. I'm glad you're taking after him, being kind to people. Have fun, baby" Mum says, her dark brown eyes swelling up in tears. She blows me a kiss and I return it. I make my way to the gate and knock on it. I could feel Mum's eyes burning into me, she isn't going to leave until I am inside.

I love that part of my parents, the fact that they're so caring and kind, I feel ... Like a hypocrite near them. I didn't want anything to do with Myra. I'm only doing this for my friends. Somehow I could feel my dad's disappointing stare burning into me from above. The gate open revealing Mara's gateman, Dayo. He gives me a small smile and waves at my mum as I enter.

"Good evening, sir," I say with a smile. Though Dayo is nineteen, I am taught to respect people older than me.

"Evening, you're late," he says with a chuckle.

"When am I ever not. How's school?" I ask. Dayo's family couldn't afford to send Dayo to university even though Dayo is really smart. In the process of looking for a gateman, Mara's parents decided to fund Dayo's school fees. My friends and I really like talking to Dayo. He's really chill.

"Hard but good. You should go in now. They're waiting for you," he says with a smile and I nod. I had almost reach the front door when I hear my name. I turn to see Dayo with a conflicted look.

"Is something wrong?" I ask. He looks like he is about to say something but when he looks past me, he stops. I glance at where his eyes stare at but I see nothing.

"Just be careful, Jas. Especially with that... New friend," he says warily and moves into his small polished gate house. I honestly didn't know what to make of his behavior but I know I'm definitely scared.

                          :::::::

"Oh my God, leave the room!" Kemi screams making Mara scream. We are watching a horror movie. I usually enjoy them especially with the fact that Mara and Kemi are terrified of it but seating beside Myra won't let me. I glance at her. She looks bored watching the movie.