Heating Metal Using Ice

Comincia dall'inizio

"Why aren't you angry?"

Gray just looked to Natsu and took a deep breath. He had a feeling that what he was going to say was going to piss off his mate. But he was going to bite the bullet and accept the anger. Mates complement each other they don't match. Natsu loved fish. Gray loved deer. Both were good just a different taste.

"I just recently joined. I don't have many fond memories attached to the building. The only memories I have of the building is of joining the guild. Besides, it can be rebuilt, bigger and better than ever. I also moved around a lot with Isis to avoid a lot of danger. Never got attached to a place."

"Are you kidding me! Did you ever consider any place like home?"

Gray looked up to the sky being concealed by the branches of the trees they were passing by, spring was going strong with all the flowers in bloom or budding, pollen casting a slight haze to the air. But it was nearing its end, giving way to summer. Gray was going to have a really tough time this year.

He couldn't stand the heat too well and the fact Natsu was going into heat and with the natural amount of heat he already produced daily. Summer was going to be a long season. But then he looked back towards Natsu, who was still frowning at him for taking so long to answer.

Gray took a deep breath and exhaled a small cloud of mist from his nose. But he closed his eyes and spoke.

"No, I've never considered any place I've stayed to be home. It just never felt right. . ."

Natsu was about to speak up again when Gray sent him a side-eye that said 'I'm not done talking, so hold your tongue'.

"I never considered any place my home because what I considered home was with the person I have a deep emotional bond with. Isis protected me, feed me, taught me countless things. She was safe and a constant in my life. With her gone, I didn't have a home anymore. I have a home with Endoura and now hopefully one with you. A place where we can grow and learn."

Natsu couldn't believe it. Those words were the balm he needed to calm his nerves and stop smoking out of his ears. What Gray said was strange but it held so much emotion and his truth it felt real. He guessed that it, was true for Gray himself. The only constants in his life were Isis, constantly moving, Endoura, Eclipse, and, now him and Fairy Tail.

They stopped at the little cottage in the woods and opened the door. The house was utterly stuffed to the brim with different objects. Gray smiled and chuckled a bit at the typical dragon-like behavior. But with the cottage being as small as it was and now housing two people and two exceeds it was crowded.

So with Natsu's permission and help they started to move all the items around to provide more space and Gray started to make a nest of blankets and pillows on the ground by a hammock.

"Why are you making that you aren't going to be sleeping on the floor."

"You'd be surprised how comfy this is. And I'm nesting. You should try it, I'll start making dinner."

Natsu just frowned and as Gray entered the kitchen to start the preparations of dinner, Natsu laid down in the nest and just started to melt into it.

It was dark and most everyone was sleeping in their beds by themselves, loved ones, or pets. But a small group of three were walking the streets. Two men and a petite woman. A shadow was following them till they turned and corner and the group was knocked out.

It was early morning, the sun was peaking through the clouds, fresh dew sitting delicately on leaves and blades of grass enhancing the smell of it. It would have been a wonderful and peaceful day if it didn't feel so off.