Chapter 12 | Day 12 - Christmas Lights and Last Day

Start from the beginning

Once I finished lacing up my boots I walked over to Bennett's truck, opened the door and sat inside, waiting for him.

After a few minutes I realized his mistake. Bennett had forgotten to give me the keys to his truck, meaning I was left sitting in the freezing cold truck.

I slowly started to shiver, not used to the cold. I don't care if I have been here for twelve straight days now, I have spent eighteen straight years in the nice, hot heat of Florida.

"You ready?" Bennett questioned, getting in the truck and interrupting me from going deep in my thoughts.

I didn't respond to him, instead I just casted a glare in his direction while making my coldness obvious by shivering and chattering my teeth.

"Oh shit, did I not leave the car on for you? I'm sorry, here," he said glancing at me and throwing something in my direction.

Instinctively I closed my eyes and put my arm out in front of me to block whatever it was he threw at me. I was shocked once the only thing my hands touched was something soft, warm, and fuzzy. I slowly opened my eyes up and was met with the same texture covering my face and eyes.

I grabbed the fabric and pulled it from my face slowly, grateful to see that it was multiple blankets. I quickly grabbed them and wrapped them around my body, my shivering and chattering gradually started to decrease.

"Better?" Bennett asked, casting me a smirk, that look still in his eyes.

Instead of responding I nodded and snuggled more into the blankets.

"Perfect," he said with a big smile. "Now just sit there and get comfortable, I'll take care of the rest."

"Where are we going?" I questioned through the fabric of the blanket.

"Wait and see," he responded and then put the truck and we were off.

The ride to the mystery location was full of conversation. I think we were both taking the chance to use it as an opportunity to find out more about each other before I had to leave. I do already feel like I know a lot about Bennett, but maybe he doesn't feel the same way. Or maybe he does, but still wants to know more and memorize everything that is about me.

He kept asking me question after question. All stuff I thought he knew about already.

Whatever the reason why he was doing this, I don't care. I am just thankful for this moment and to be able to soak up all of his attention in his presence.

"Alright, here we are!" Bennett exclaimed suddenly, cutting me off from my thoughts.

Reluctantly I tore my eyes away from his face to look out the window to see where he was looking and what was making him so excited.

"Oh my goodness," I breathed out lightly, "this is amazing!"

"I'm surprised you guys don't do this down in Florida. You still celebrate Christmas down there right?" Bennett asked, glancing over at me.

"Yeah we do, but not to this extreme. And the snow makes it look so much more like a winter wonderland!" I added, still in shock.

"Just you wait, there is so much more to see," he said with a chuckle in his voice.

Bennett had taken me to a winter wonderland village that was full of Christmas lights. The houses were completely covered in lights, the yards as well. It looked like a giant light show, but done classy and neat.

I wasn't kidding, the snow makes it so much more beautiful. We do this back at home, but the palm trees and lack of snow makes it look weird and not natural. But here it does. It looks like it's supposed to be like this all-year-round.

"Look! It's like a gingerbread house!" I exclaimed excitedly, pointing out the windshield as Bennett slowed down in the line of cars.

"That it does," he said nodding. I'm sure he was mocking me, but I didn't really care. I was too excited to look at all of the beautiful houses.

"Are we getting out and doing something," I asked as Bennett drove past a parking lot.

"Nope, this is what we are doing. Driving by the houses looking at Christmas lights. And the plus side is that we get to stay warm and cozy in the truck. So stay wrapped in your blanket and relax. But first, look behind you."

Curious, I turned around to look in the backseat to see what he was talking about.

To my surprise it was decked out into a little bar. There was a giant thermos full of what I could assume was hot chocolate as Bennett doesn't like coffee that much, especially this late at night. There was also a picnic basket - I don't know what was inside, though I still love the thought behind it.

"Like what you see?" He questioned, attempting to hide a smirk, but I still saw it.

"Yes I do," I responded, pulling his hand into my lap while looking at him.

The smirk broke through into a smile as his eyes returned back to the road. "Alright, ready to crack open some hot chocolate?"

"In just a little bit. Right now I'm too busy looking at the lights. They're so beautiful," I breathed out once again, unable to get over the view.

"I can't believe how beautiful either," he responded.

I looked over at him to see that he wasn't looking at the lights. But instead he was looking at me. I let a shy smile slip on my face as I blushed, struggling to maintain eye contact because of how powerful his stare was.

"You know what, Kendall?" He asked, pulling off to the side of the road when there was a gap of cars, right in front of a beautifully decorated house.

"What?" I questioned, my breathing increased as his staring did.

"I love you." his voice full of seriousness.

Suddenly right then and there I realized what that one look he constantly had in his eye was. That thing dancing in his eyes was a look of love.

Something I have seen since the day I met him.

I didn't have to think of what to say. It's something I've wanted to say since the beginning of it all.

"I love you, too, Bennett."

He reached out to me, cupped my face in his hand, and the next thing I knew, his lips were pressed against mine.

The feeling of his lips is incredible. So much better than I could ever think about. I could have never imagined the actual feeling of it. Butterflies exploded in my stomach as I felt tingles all throughout my body.

All at once, with the feeling of his lips against mine and his hand resting on my face, I realized that we were going to be okay. No matter what happens tomorrow, we will be okay.

I will always remember this moment, from the boy that I love, during the winter break I was dreading before it even started.

How could the days I had been dreading turned into the best days of my life?

Never in my life have I felt so happy and content. I wish I can feel this forever. So full of happiness and love.

I am so thankful that I was able to spend the last twelve days with Bennett and I never want it to end.