Chapter 2 | Day 2 - Laughter

"So how was your first night?" Aunt Ruby asked at breakfast the next morning.

I don't have the heart to tell her that it was freezing cold here, and the three blankets she left me did nothing on keeping me warm. So instead I replied with, "it was nice."

She looked at my face and her smile fell instantly, "you were cold, weren't you?"

I didn't answer, but that seems to be enough for her.

"Gosh, I'm so sorry, Kendall. I guess I forgot to tell you how cold it gets here at night. I thought those blankets would have for sure helped a bit. I'm really sorry," she said again. I could tell she was actually sorry, and not just saying it. It was written in her face.

I usually sleep with three blankets back home in Florida, so I am used to them. It felt like almost nothing was on top of me. Felt like I was just laying on a bed.

    "It's alright, Ruby. It wasn't that bad," I lied, not wanting to make her feel bad.

    "No, it's not," she mumbled, rubbing her hands over her face, "gosh, I'm such an idiot. Of course, you're used to the warmth of Florida. Definitely not Minnesota weather."

    I didn't know if I was supposed to respond to that, or if she was talking to herself. So instead I just looked back down to the pancakes she made. They were actually really good. Aunt Ruby had never had been a good cook, but she must have been practicing since I've last been here.

    "These are really good," I said pointing to the pancakes with my fork, hoping to change the subject.

    It worked, and she perked up almost immediately. "Thank you! You don't know how much food I had made in preparation for your visit. I made so much that I started handing it out to my neighbors, and believe me, the food wasn't always that good," she paused to laugh, "I can't believe that they ate all of it. Or at least pretended to."

    "Really?" I questioned with a little laugh. I can easily imagine her carrying Tupperware to every house, almost every day. My laughter died down a bit when I remembered the boy from yesterday. I could help but wonder if he had eaten anything Aunt Ruby had made and if it was any good. I would hate it if it wasn't good, I don't want him to have that impression of my family. I want him to think that I am, or we are, better than that.

    The sudden thought of him having to taste disgusting food, made my stomach clench. I don't know why, but the idea of that didn't sit well with me.

    I must have been in my thoughts longer than I had wanted to because Aunt Ruby started snapping her fingers under my nose. "Earth to Kendall, you there?" she questioned with laughter in her voice.

    "Um, yeah," I muttered sitting back in my chair, keeping my eye on her hand and where it was going. I don't know why, but I never really liked being touch, especially random touching. Or even something close to it.

    Aunt Ruby must have noticed this because her smile fell for a second as she pulled her hand back to her side. She recovered, "So, what are you planning on doing today?" she questioned.

    "Probably just sit around and watch TV," I said avoiding eye contact. I hadn't made any plans for this trip. I had just wanted to stay indoors where it is warm and count the days until I could go back home in the warmth of Florida. Can't think of anything better than that.

Sure, I was supposed to spend time with Aunt Ruby, that is why I am here. But we can do that at her house. No need to go anywhere.

    "Nuh uh," Aunt Ruby started, shaking her head, "I promised your mother that I would limit your phone and television time. Last night was an exception because I letting you settle in and adjust."

12 Days of BennettOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara