Chapter 7 | Day 7 - Road Trip and Snow Tubing

Bright and early the next morning, there was knocking on my bedroom door.

I lifted my head with squinted eyes aimed at the door before shoving my head underneath my pillow. It's too early to be awake. I don't even know what time it is, but I know it is too early. If I am still laying in my bed under all my soft blankets, it's too early. I pulled my blanket over my head, closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep again.

A knock echoed on my bedroom door again, this time much louder. "C'mon Kendall! Bennett is waiting for you! He's been here for a while! Let's go!" Aunt Ruby shouted from the hallway.

I ignored her and pulled my blankets higher. That was pointless, now my feet were sticking out and I wasn't comfortable anymore. But I still wasn't moving out of my bed. It's too early.

"Kendall, if you don't start moving, I will entertain Bennett myself! I'm sure I can think of something! If anything, I'll make him food! I'm sure he will enjoy it!" Aunt Ruby shouted again. I could hear a smirk in her voice. Though I wasn't paying much attention to that.

I sprung out of bed and ran to the door. I pulled the door open, "Oh, no you don't!" I shouted in her face.

Aunt Ruby looked at me with a shocked face. She totally wasn't expecting that.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. "Sorry," I mumbled. "I'll be out shortly. Keep him entertained." I closed the door. "Oh, and don't do any of that," I added as an afterthought and closed the door again.

I tore off my pajamas and threw on the clothes closest to me. They ended up being my army jeans and a bright mustard yellow sweater. Not something I would normally choose. But it works for now.

I threw my hair up in a messy bun and ran out of my room. I went straight to the living room where I saw Bennett sitting on the couch looking severely out of place and uncomfortable.

I had to laugh, it was hysterical.

"Okay, I'm here," I said, yawning. "Sorry, I just woke up."

"That's okay," Bennett said, his eyes sparkling. It's obvious he found this funny. He knows I don't normally dress like this.

"I'll be right back. You can just stay there," I paused and glanced over at Aunt Ruby. "On second thought, how about you come with me. I'll spare you from Aunt Ruby."

Even though Bennett was too polite to say it, I could tell he was relieved. Not too many people can handle being in the same room as Aunt Ruby. Sadly, I fall into that category.

Bennett stood up and started walking towards me.

"Hold up," Aunt Ruby said, suddenly.

I paused and looked over to her.

"What's going on? I thought you didn't have plans for the day?" Aunt Ruby said confused.

"I didn't. Not until last night, after you went to bed. Bennett and I are going to go skiing. I have wanted to do that, and I thought it was a lot of fun," I said, barely able to contain my excitement.

"Okay, sound like fun. Do you have everything?" She asked. "Hey Bennett, do you mind if I talk to Kendall for a bit? You can just hang out in her room."

"Sure, no problem, Ruby. I'll just be in Kendall's room," Bennett said, nodding.

I watched in leave with a small smile on my face. Though I was annoyed at Aunt Ruby a bit, why did she shove him away like that?

"So, what's up?" Aunt Ruby said, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

"I just need winter gear. I think we are going to rent some stuff. I didn't bring anything, and I don't know if he has anything either. Probably doesn't have any extras for me. Other than that, I'm good to go," I explained.