Part 5: Smile

Marinette woke up feeling...better. The exhaustion and heartache she'd been feeling for the past week was still there, but it had lessened. And instead of thinking of Adrien as soon as she sat up as she usually did, her mind wandered to another pair of green eyes. Mari flushed, shutting her eyes tight for just a moment, seeing those eyes more clearly.

What was she doing? Her heart jumped in her chest, realizing that she hadn't thought of Adrien, but someone else. Which was crazy, there was no reason she should be thinking about Chat Noir. It's not like she had feelings for him, right?

Marinette shook off her thoughts, not wanting to dwell on them. She was excited to wear the new skirt she'd sewn. Last week she'd found a large patch of red flannel fabric and immediately wanted to make something with it. She'd finished it last night after Chat had left.

She pulled it on, the bottom of the skirt hitting her mid thighs. Marinette paired it with her heeled ankle boots and matching orange-brown sweater. Her favorite socks, the ones with the ruffle on the top, looked perfect with her lace-up shoes.

Placing her hair in double buns and tying red ribbons around them, Mari smiled as Tikki flew around her head, "Marinette! You look so pretty today!"

She finished with her hair, "Thanks Tikki. It's been a while since I've worn one of my new designs."

The kwami continued to swim in circles around the room, "You're so talented! Everything you make always turns out beautifully." Mari gave her a sweet smile, and Tikki continued, "but are you sure you're not getting dressed up for a certain someone." Tikki's voice was teasing, her expression suspicious.

Marinette began lacing up her shoes, "You know Adrien is dating Kagami now, Tikki."

"I wasn't talking about Adrien."

"Then who were you—oh," Marinette blushed again, "it's not like that, Tikki."

"Whatever you say Marinette."

Mari poked the kwami in her stomach, "Oh Tikki, what am I going to do with you?"

Tikki giggled, "Hurry up Marinette, you're going to be late for school!"

Mari laughed and ran down the stairs, grabbing the breakfast her dad had made her and running toward the door, hugging her parents on the way out. She was glad she'd left early, because it was not everyday that she wore shoes with even a small heel on them. Marinette was certain she would have tripped over herself if she had ran.

When she walked into Ms. Bustier's, she was honestly a little embarrassed, knowing she rarely wore anything different than her usual outfit to school. Luckily, no one except Alya looked at her as she walked in the door. Her friend smiled, looking surprised, and waved her over.

"You're totally on time girl, I think the world has been set off its axis." Her friend hugged her as she approached.

Mari smiled, "I know. I was surprised myself."

Alya pulled away, looking her up and down, "Not to mention you look adorable! What's got you looking all cute?" Her friend raised an eyebrow.

She waved her off, "I just finished this skirt last night and I thought I'd wear it."

"Are you suuuuure?" Alya giggled, "You're all smiley too! Is it Luka?!"

"No!" Mari said, giving her friend a small shove, "Luka and I are just friends."

"Oh come on! I know he's been coming over almost everyday."

"Not yesterday," she pointed out.

"Okay, but still. If not Luka then who?"