Part 16: You're Right

Adrien was aware of two things when he woke up. One was that the agonizing pain in his stomach was almost completely gone, only a small ache remained. The second was that there was a fragile warmth pressed into his side. Adrien often forgot how small she was, he easily tucked her closer to him, pressing a kiss to her temple. His heart skipped a beat knowing she must have climbed into the bed next to him. Dammit, he was so in love with her. And there was no way on Earth he deserved her.

Ladybug. Of course Marinette was Ladybug, how could it be anyone else? The irony of their situation was annoying. Adrien pulled her a little closer, blocking out his traitorous thoughts. Nothing of what happened was either of their faults, though, he never should have pressured her to reveal their relationship. It had been disgustingly selfish of him. No one gave Marinette nearly enough credit for what she did. She was always helping her friends and being there for them, while also saving the entirety of Paris every single day? Adrien hadn't realized how much of a burden she bared, now that she was the Guardian of the Miraculous as well, and still she thought of others before herself.

Adrien watched her take a steady breath, part of him fearing that one day it would be too much for her, that one day she would suffocate under all the pressure. As he had suffocated under his father's gaze. Hawkmoth. The realization still hit him like a sword to the gut—which was painfully literal—that his father would terrorize people to bring his mother back, it seemed unreal. Not that Adrien didn't want his mother back, he did. He wanted her back very badly. But he wouldn't go so far as to harm others to bring her home.

Marinette stirred, her eyes cracking open. He smiled at her as she looked at him, her arms tightening around his waist. Adrien leaned down, unable to help himself as he nuzzled her neck, drawing a delighted sigh from her lips.

"How are you feeling?" Mari asked, her fingers drawing circles on his back as she pressed her face against his chest. Which, he noticed, was shirtless. He shivered at the feeling of her nails on his bare skin.

"Like brand new," he ran his hands through her hair, savoring the feel of the silky strands on his fingertips, "I have you to thank for that, Milady."

Marinette cringed and Adrien knew she'd hoped he wouldn't bring it up. Or that he'd forgotten. How could he forget? "Adrien—"

"I know this is a stupid question," he started, pulling away to look at her, "but...why didn't you tell me? It would have made things easier, I think."

Marinette sighed, "You're right Adrien," she started, and he almost breathed a sigh of relief. He was right to contain his relief, "that is a stupid question," she looked at him with hurt in her eyes, "How could I have told you? Look what's happened because of everything we've done. You almost died Adrien, me telling you that I'm Ladybug wouldn't have helped that it would have put us in more danger. I didn't keep anything from you that was unreasonable. I've told you how important it is that this remains secret."

Adrien's jaw clenched slightly in anger, though he had no idea why. There was no reason to be mad at Marinette, of course she was right. So he had no idea why he said, "You don't know that. If I had known you were Ladybug..."

"What?" She demanded, pushing away from him to sit up and run her hands through her hair in frustration, "What would have changed?"

He stumbled for an answer but couldn't find one. Why was he arguing with her? He knew she was right and yet anger still burned in his veins, "It doesn't matter! I just wish you weren't Ladybug!"

Adrien regretted the words as soon as they left his mouth. Marinette flinched away from him as if he'd hit her. She shoved the covers away from her and stood, pain flashing across her features as she scrambled for the door. Adrien sprang from his place in the bed, wearing only a pair of low riding black sweat pants he assumed belonged to Nino. He placed himself in front of the door before she could reach it.