Party

I walked into the crowded house, music blaring in every corner. Unfamiliar faces swam in front of me and I could feel myself beginning to freak out.

"Come outside," Miles said in my ear. I followed him outside where there was another sea of people but there was also a large part of the backyard that wasn't occupied. "You looked a little freaked in there."

"Yeah," I nodded. This was somewhere to escape to. The cold air bit my cheeks but I didn't care.

"I'll be back," Miles said as he wandered back inside. I stood outside in the cold night air, surrounded by people I didn't know. 

There were girls flirting outrageously with boys as well as girls showing off for boys by making out with each other. I watched them and laughed to myself. Wow, so bad, they kissed each other.

I rolled my eyes as Miles came back, his blonde hair looking more like a golden halo.

"What?" he asked as he handed me a drink.

I nodded in the direction of the girls and he pulled a face.

"Skanks," he said. 

I looked up at him for the first time, his blue eyes catching mine. He smiled at me before taking a drink. 

"Don't you have frineds to be socialising with?" I asked. Why was he still here?

"Yeah, see, I'm in the process of making a new friend," he looked at me.

"You suck at choosing friends," I said honestly.

"Don't say that about yourself," he said, shaking his head.

"It's true."

"Prove it," he challenged.

"I'm the kind of kid your parent's warned you about," I said, narrowing my eyes. I reached into my pocket and pulled out my cigarette box.

"So you think smoking makes you bad?" he said, laughing.

"These aren't normal smokes, kid," I said, pulling out a joint.

"You can't have drugs here," Miles hissed at me.

"So sad," I murmured, lighting it. He snatched it from my mouth. "You can have that one."

"No, I won't," he said, holding it.

I reached into my cigarette box and pulled out another joint and lit it. Miles watched as I took a long, deep drag. 

After a few more hits I was really feeling it and I could see Miles inching the joint closer to his lips.

"Just do it, kid," I told him, smiling. Weed can't kill you or get you addicted. 

He pursed his lips, looking at the joint. After a few minutes contemplation, he raised the joint to his lips and took a drag.

"Urgh," he coughed. I laughed, remembering when I first tried it. 

Time passed and eventually we were finished our joints and were leaning against one of the brick walls around the corner from the back door where no one was. We were laughing and talking about the stars. This kid was okay.

"How old are you?" Miled asked me, raising an eyebrow.

"Ten," I said sarcastically. "Plus eight."

"I don't know what that is," Miles chuckled.

"Eighteen," I laughed.

"Oh, I'm nineteen," he said, laughing.

He smiled at me for a moment, his eyes catching mine. He closed the distance between us and pressed his lips against mine before pulling back. 

I shook my head and pulled his lips back to mine.