4

{Chapter four: The protective brother}

"I heard you got paired up with Jason." Was the first sentence Matthew said to his sister when she got home with her mother. He came into garage to help them with groceries the moment he heard his mother parking in it. She taxted her son when they where on their way home like any other time.

"The Wyatt kid?" Wanda's eyes widen as she hears the infamous bad boy's name. She like Jason but her heart squeezes at those words because everybody knew he was no good. Even though her son is hanging out with him, the idea of her daughter being near that boy wasn't very pleasing to her. She was once in high school too so she wasn't stupid to know how this little pairing could end up.

Matthew doesn't say anything, only nods his head while Halsey's cheeks are already bright colour of red. The look her brother was giving her wasn't so pleasant. He observed every movement she did, trying to figure out how she felt about the whole project-with-his-friend thing.

"Ummm...yeah."Halsey finily speaks softly as she puts two grocery bags on the kitchen island and starts absentmindedly sorting out the food. "Juniors have to make a math project with seniors and I got paired up with Jason Wyatt." She shrugs shaking off the nerves and trying to hide how of a big deal is to her to spend some time with her long time crush.

"Can't you ask your teacher to give you a girl for a partner or anyone else other than him?" Her brother's eyes were filled with rage. He knew Wyatt almost better than anyone else. Even though they didn't hang out so much like some best friends would, they had great bond with one another without having to spend the infinite time together.

That question made Halsey bitter. He practically told he doesn't aprove any kind of relationship between the two. Even the strictly business kind of relation. "No, because Mr Ludwig actually partnered us based on our intelligence and work ethics. So I guess if I switch to somone else I might not do it so well and I need this grade for the future." She said those words with annoyance being far from hidden, trying to prove a point that he has no say in this.

Matthew shakes his head, anger floating through his veins so he comes up with the best solution to have this under his control. "If that's so, you will then only work on this project here, under this roof and no where else." He crosses his arms, challanging his little sister to go against his words, but she knows very well, that this is the only way to convice Matthew not to inerfere and actuallz switch her partner. So, she rolls her eyes and says small defeated "okay".

That was the last interaction between Kendrick sibilnings that evening.

Mrs.Kendrick watched her children with amusement, her worry about Wyatt kid slowly fading away as she realized that her son would do anything to protect her daughter.

After they finished with unpacking the groceries, Matthew and Halsey went to their rooms in silence while Wanda stayed downstairs to catch up with her favorite criminalistic tv shows.

...

The hours passed by slowly for Halsey as she waited impatiently for the call but it never came. As the digits on her phone changed into four zeros, she sighed and decided to go to sleep.

She got up from the desk she was currently doing some of the homework that was do to next week. It wasn't like her to do something so in advance but it made her take her mind off of the boy who was supposed to ring her phone.

To say that she was a bit disappointed would be an understatement. Her heart would skip a beat everytime she felt a vibration in her pocket of her hoodie. That made the disappointment grew as the minutes, and eventually hours, past by.